Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ALSA 2.6 Kernel Problems

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Abbey Normal

ALSA 2.6 Kernel Problems

#1 Post by Abbey Normal »

1) I recompiled the 2.6.5 kernel and enabled ALSA.

2) I ran alsaconf and it correctly detected my soundcard and loaded the modules.

3) I ran alsamixer and got the following error:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default:
No such file or directory

I then compiled the alsa-driver, alsa-utils and alsa-libs packages from source, sound works but the default level is muted, I can raise the levels but they're muted again at next boot and I still get the above error when running alsamixer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: ALSA 2.6 Kernel Problems

#2 Post by Guest »

Abbey Normal wrote: but the default level is muted, I can raise the levels but they're muted again at next boot and I still get the above error when running alsamixer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
You can try using alsactl store to keep the sound level. If that dosent work, you might have to use a startup script. More info here.

Bob

#3 Post by Guest »

As long as you obtained the source from debian website and compiled it, you should be fine. try dpkg-reconfigure alsa or one of the related packages. and choose to save the settings upon reboot.

#4 Post by Guest »

Just a quick line to thank the original poster. Using this post I got alsa to work, after two weeks of struggling. I just needed to recompile locally!

Thanks.

ezuk