If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

mozilla-vlc-plugin or mplayer-plugin

Postby CaptG » 2005-09-10 00:35

I removed firefox 1.4
I installed firefox 1.6
I then installed vlc
I then installed mozilla-vlc-plugin
I then made the correct links

When I goto watch video with firefox, all I get is a "no picture". I have tried many sites.

Any ideas?

I have no "mozilla" installed, just firefox.
Sarge is the distro.
Has anyone got mplayer-plugin to compile yet in sarge, without haveing to install mozilla?

thanks,
cg
CaptG

Postby Harold » 2005-09-10 02:30

I think you mean that you upgraded the Debian package mozilla-firefox-1.0.4 from Sarge/Etch with mozilla-firefox-1.0.6 from Sid. Or are you referring to packages that you downloaded from www.mozilla.org?

I think that you then installed the Debian packages vlc and mozilla-plugin-vlc. Are you using kernel 2.6 and ALSA? If so, might need to install the Debian package vlc-plugin-alsa to get sound.

Be more specific please regarding "made the correct links." Where did you find instructions? This leads me to believe that you are using firefox downloaded from www.mozilla.org and not the Debian package. Any special reason for doing it this way? If you use Debian's mozilla-firefox package, links should be set up automatically.

As for mplayer-plugin, there is a Debian package called mozilla-mplayer in Sarge, with a slightly newer version in Etch/Sid. I just discovered and downloaded it a few minutes ago, and will try to determine how it affects the interaction of mozilla-firefox and mplayer. (which interacted *reasonably* well for me up until now.)

Please give URLs for a couple of the sites where you've not successfully viewed videos.
Harold

Postby Guest » 2005-09-11 18:36

http://debian.video.free.fr/

add his repo to your sources.list, then apt-get update then apt-get install mozilla-mplayer w32codecs.

Postby Guest » 2005-09-11 18:45

>Or are you referring to packages that you downloaded from www.mozilla.org?

Yes, I downloaded 1.6 from mozilla.

>I think that you then installed the Debian packages vlc and mozilla-plugin-vlc.

yes.

>Are you using kernel 2.6 and ALSA?

Custom kernel 2.6.13 and OSS.

>If so, might need to install the Debian >package vlc-plugin-alsa to get sound.

Vlc plays videos fine, aswell as audio. It's just the plugin for mozilla that seems to be null.

>Be more specific please regarding "made the correct links." Where did you >find instructions?

I'm sorry, I installed firefox into my ~ directory, I make all the plugin/component links from /usr/lib/mozilla/{plugin,components} to the respective directories in ~/firefox-installer/...

>believe that you are using firefox downloaded from www.mozilla.org and >not the Debian package. Any special reason for doing it this way?
>If you use Debian's mozilla-firefox package, links should be set up >automatically.

Nothing special, just a cleaner install. As for the links, I'm fairly sure they are correct, darn near 98% sure, so go ahead and check your /usr/lib/mozilla/{plugins,components} and see what vlc links go to where for your firefox install. You should see in you firefox install's plugin and component directories, (plugins) libvlcplugin.so and (components) vlcintf.xpt, these should link to /usr/lib/mozilla or /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox. I ask this to confirm my links, which I'm fairly sure are correct, but....

>As for mplayer-plugin, there is a Debian package called mozilla-mplayer in >Sarge, with a slightly newer version in Etch/Sid. I just discovered and >downloaded it a few minutes ago, and will try to determine how it affects >the interaction of mozilla-firefox and mplayer. (which interacted >*reasonably* well for me up until now.)

I've always used the mplayer plugin. Thanks for the info, I'll install it. There's a bug for the make with the src packages that I seem to be running into...I've always had had success with the mplayer plugin too ;)

As for sites, I have another box that confirmed what should work and not. It's the plugin for sure.

All I get is a "no picture". I have tried many CONFIRMED sites.

Thanks for you help,
cg

Postby Guest » 2005-09-12 20:11

>http://debian.video.free.fr/

>add his repo to your sources.list, then apt-get update then apt-get install mozilla-mplayer >w32codecs.

I have already done this, there's no mozilla-mplayer or mplayer-plugin, or anything that looks like mplayer-plugin. Thank you though.

To add to this, I already have mplayer and the codecs installed, mplayer functions perfectly as a stand alone. I'm hopeing someone that has mplayer-plugin installed or vlc-plugin installed can help, if you the reader do have either of these installed, please quickly read the thread and help where you can, mostly, the vlc links (read above) or where to get the mplayer plugin as a package, since it won't compile and install from src to to bugs...

thanks all,
cg

Postby CaptG » 2005-09-13 03:14

Never mind, lmao. Vlc-plugin came around to working, hehe. Dunno why though, (shrug).

bests,
cg
CaptG

Postby Guest » 2005-09-13 03:53

mozilla-mplayer is in the unstable repo, contrib section:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mis ... la-mplayer

Return to General Questions