Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recovery after rm -rf /

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
perlhacker14

Recovery after rm -rf /

#1 Post by perlhacker14 »

A friend of mine was trying Linux (not Debian, but Ubuntu), but this scenario is universal. He was told by someone to type sudo rm -rf / and to authenticate to update his system. The fool obeyed, and over half his harddrive is gone, with all his important files. His system is broken. Is there anything short of reinstalling that he can do?
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

llivv

#2 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

perlhacker14

#3 Post by perlhacker14 »

llivv wrote:if he was/is using a journaling file system he could try to restore the data he " rm -rf / ed" from the superblocks.
Good Luck!
I suppose that would include the Ubuntu default ext3?
If so, then how would you reccommend starting? As soon as he realized what was happenning, my friend crashed his computer and rebooted before calling me.

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

sinical

#5 Post by sinical »

:lol: - get that netinst disc out
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

perlhacker14

#6 Post by perlhacker14 »

sinical wrote::lol: - get that netinst disc out
Netinst?? I didnot use that, and Unbuntu has not one of those. In the mean time, we are attempting to read from what is left, unfortunately most of the /etc directory is gone :cry: .
http://recover.sourceforge.net/linux/recover/ and http://recover.sourceforge.net/unix/ and ftp://pit-manager.mit.edu/pub/delete/ are quite help ful. I am waiting for his call on what happend. :roll:

GraphiteCube

#7 Post by GraphiteCube »

I wonder why Linux doesn't have system file protection...

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#8 Post by Lavene »

Gundamdriver wrote:I wonder why Linux doesn't have system file protection...
It does, it's called "Don't do stuff as root without knowing what you're doing!"

That said, assholes telling noobs to trash their system seriously need to get professional help because something is obviously wrong with them...

sinical

#9 Post by sinical »

its harsh but seeing as it didnt happen to me, its funny :)
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
umop apisdn

chrismortimore

#10 Post by chrismortimore »

If he is using ext3, the word is "buggered". From what I've read (and tried) it is basically impossible for us normal people to recover data from a vanilla ext3 filesystem. There are tools out there that try and get around this (their name skips me), but I don't trust them. I just backup regularly. The entire system backs up weekly, and all important stuff is backed up hourly on two separate computers (laptop and desktop).
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

#11 Post by 987687 »

I got a computer the other day from a friend, he installed ubuntu on it and said it wasn't working. rm -fr / and a debian netinstall cd fixed the problem :D

sinical

#12 Post by sinical »

987687 wrote:I got a computer and ____ wasn't working. rm -fr / and a debian netinstall cd fixed the problem.
That should be a sig
umop apisdn

AgenT

#13 Post by AgenT »

perlhacker14 wrote:Netinst?? I didnot use that, and Unbuntu has not one of those. In the mean time, we are attempting to read from what is left, unfortunately most of the /etc directory is gone
Netinstall is one of the install disc types for Debian. It is very small (160MB).

You can also recover data "by hand", even without a journal but unless you have very important data, it is not worth the effort. It does take a long time. You can automate things, but you need to know bash scripting pretty well. If government and business agencies can do it, so can you.

Also notice that you are on the Debian forum and Debian is NOT Ubuntu. Although whatever applies to Debian in terms of file recovery will apply to Ubuntu (except Debian, like almost every other distro, uses su instead of sudo by default).

I hope the person who told your friend to use "rm -rf" was NOT anyone on this forum. Also, so that your friend is not fooled again, the man page should always be used to find out what is about to be done. It has the great benefit of teaching about GNU/Linux. man rm would have quickly made clear the impending doom.

sleepyEDB

#14 Post by sleepyEDB »

My 'step 2' after either getting the existing install fixed or reinstalling (if need be) would be tracking down the person that told me to 'sudo rm -rf /' and show them just how appreciative of their advice I am. :x :twisted: :!:

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

perlhacker14

#15 Post by perlhacker14 »

AgenT wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:Netinst?? I didnot use that, and Unbuntu has not one of those. In the mean time, we are attempting to read from what is left, unfortunately most of the /etc directory is gone
Netinstall is one of the install disc types for Debian. It is very small (160MB).

You can also recover data "by hand", even without a journal but unless you have very important data, it is not worth the effort. It does take a long time. You can automate things, but you need to know bash scripting pretty well. If government and business agencies can do it, so can you.

Also notice that you are on the Debian forum and Debian is NOT Ubuntu. Although whatever applies to Debian in terms of file recovery will apply to Ubuntu (except Debian, like almost every other distro, uses su instead of sudo by default).

I hope the person who told your friend to use "rm -rf" was NOT anyone on this forum. Also, so that your friend is not fooled again, the man page should always be used to find out what is about to be done. It has the great benefit of teaching about GNU/Linux. man rm would have quickly made clear the impending doom.
After being up past 2 in the morning on the phone, we gave up. All that was lost (of his files) was some programs he wrote and old homework. :D
Anyway, the jerk who told Greg (my friend who lost his HDD) to rm -rf / finds this whole thing very amusing. I do wonder why Greg listened to him in the first place, when the jerk has written atleast 3 virii and 2 keyloggers and the like. In the end, I only hope the good for nothing loser gets whats coming, and someday has to lose as much sleep as I did! :x

alleluia20

#16 Post by alleluia20 »

Other ways of spoiling a Linux system :-D (one of the following commands is enough :-D ):

cat /dev/[urandom | random | zero ] > /dev/[hda - sda - ..]

chmod -R 777 /

chmod -R 000 /

apt-get remove –purge libc6

:> /etc/password && :> /etc/shadow && :> /etc/inittab && :> /etc/fstab

rm /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

:-D

What I do not understand is why rm doesn't ask for confirmation by default. What happens if I want to run rm -rf /home/me/foo but I press accidentally Enter after the first / ?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#17 Post by Lavene »

alleluia20 wrote:What I do not understand is why rm doesn't ask for confirmation by default. What happens if I want to run rm -rf /home/me/foo but I press accidentally Enter after the first / ?
- Don't do it as root
- Make a habit of using -i
- Make an alias for rm with the -i option

This is Linux... it behaves as you tell it to behave ;)

Tina

diego1116

#18 Post by diego1116 »

alleluia20 wrote:What I do not understand is why rm doesn't ask for confirmation by default. What happens if I want to run rm -rf /home/me/foo but I press accidentally Enter after the first / ?
That's why you should use "rm /home/me/foo -rf" instead.

I learn that a while ago in other topic. Thanks, AgentT.
Não está morto quem peleia!

alleluia20

#19 Post by alleluia20 »

That's why you should use "rm /home/me/foo -rf" instead.
That's a terrific piece of advice. Thank you

And thanks to Tina too for the information about the -i option. I could also have made man rm , of course :-D

By the way (off-topic), Tina: in the KDE start up advices, you can read the countries where you can find KDE developpers, they list a large list of countries, and they finish with "even in Norway". Are you upset about this even? :-D :-P

#20 Post by 987687 »

the f switch on rm means do what I say weather it is smart or not. Without the f it will ask for conformation.