Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian AMD64 problem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Beliar

Debian AMD64 problem

#1 Post by Beliar »

not sure where to post, so please move if wrong.

Well, i decided i install a linux again on my pc, i decided i try debian this time.Cause i have an AMD64 Processor i downloaded the AMD64 Version (yeah, i know its not an official version right now)
After that i installed it after 'some' problems(including that i forgot that windwos stores it bootloader allways on c:)

Next step was connecting to the internet.I have a "AVM Fritzcard DSL SL" directly on the pc, no router. So i needed the drivers for that.Fortunately AVM has made a linux one, but only precompile for suse, the source is included so i 'only' need to compile those. Normally no prob, but apparently there was no make and gcc installed and not on the dvd. After i restarted windows and downloaded the gcc and all dependencies that were not installed i tried to compile again.
First it seemed it works but then i got the following error:

"/asm/processor.h array type has incomplete element type"

Ok, restarting windows and search the web.Found a solution, not for the kernel i use, but it suggestes using gcc 3.3(i got 4.0).
So i downloaded gcc3.3.

Next try:

Ok, searching again.I find out that the kernel i use (2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 ) was compiled by gcc 3.4 so i download this and try.Again:

This is where i am now.
Anyone knows a solution?

[edit]
i used the following kernel-headers:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/deve ... 1-amd64-k8

Beliar

#2 Post by Beliar »

nevermind i got it to work.

My fault was to assume that debian would add the packages on the dvd to apt-cache.

I was wrong, when i browsed the dvd on windows i found that the header and gcc packages were on it.After i added the dvd to the package sources i could install the headers, and the driver compiled right away.

However internet doesnt work yet, cant get a connection.
So, more searching on the net...