Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

reiser filesystem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
newb

reiser filesystem

#1 Post by newb »

I added a xtra HD and I want to put it in reiserFS format.

I tought I had to do that with the mkreiserfs command but my woody system doesn't know that command.
apt-get install mkreiserfs doesn't work either.

How can I make the HD in reiserfs ?

thk you

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

The mkreiserfs command is in the reiserfsprogs package.

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

Reiserfs has to be supported by the kernel that you are using for you to read and write to the file system. If you are using an old kernel, it may not have support. I think it is support was built into the standard kernel around version 2.2.3
check:
# kernelversion

If your kernel supports reiserf then,
I think the packages that you want are:
progsreiserfs - Tools for manipulating ReiserFS filesystems
reiserfsprogs - User-level tools for ReiserFS filesystems
When you:
# apt-get install progsreiserfs
apt will install the dependent libraries like libreiserfs.

Bob

drdebian

#4 Post by drdebian »

dawgie wrote:I think it is support was built into the standard kernel around version 2.2.3
If I remember correctly, support for ReiserFS wasn't added until 2.4.1. Installing a current kernel-image out of the 2.4.x tree along with the reiserfsprogs should provide support for ReiserFS.

On a side note, I personally moved away from ReiserFS after having used it on many servers for a number of years, because it managed to corrupt filesystems in rare cases after power loss. Ext3 and XFS behaved much better in such circumstances, with XFS yielding the best performance overall.

peschmae

#5 Post by peschmae »

drdebian wrote:On a side note, I personally moved away from ReiserFS after having used it on many servers for a number of years, because it managed to corrupt filesystems in rare cases after power loss.
Experienced such problems, too. Thus using XFS now - no idea whether that changed in the meanwhile (has been one or two years since I last used reiserfs) or whether Reiser4 is better in that respect.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell

drdebian

#6 Post by drdebian »

peschmae wrote:Experienced such problems, too. Thus using XFS now - no idea whether that changed in the meanwhile (has been one or two years since I last used reiserfs) or whether Reiser4 is better in that respect.
I gather that ReiserFS4 is supposed to be the best performing filesystem, if and when it becomes stable. I'll look at it again in a few years' time, in the meanwhile, I'll enjoy the excellent performance and stability of XFS, too.

XFS really doesn't seize to impress me. Simply try issuing "updatedb" and measure the time until the prompt comes back. I'm certain that XFS will give you the shortest wait of them all.