Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

page format in CUPS

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dekers

page format in CUPS

#1 Post by dekers »

Hi all,

I am using Sarge Debian, CUPS and an HP LaserJet 8150. I am trying to print two kinds of PDF documents: A4 and A3 (EU-Format) but until now I fail every time. :(

Exlpanation: I have drawings I would like to print in a big format A3 and lists that I would like to print in a small format A4. I am using the default driver that I found on the CUPs home page.

The problem: I manage to print either everything in A4 or A3. I am printing from the console and tried many possible combinations like:
set the driver to media size A3 and than lp -o media=A4 myList.pdf but I get myFile.pdf as A3 and not as A4. If I use media size A4 and lp -o media=A3 myDrawing.pdf I get everything in A4 but the actual size of the print ist resized to about 75% of the original document. It comes out on an A4 page but the printed data is resized...

There is also the possibility of: fit to page, which I don't quit understand: 1. ask user - I tried this but I was asked nothing... and I couldn't see any change. 2. Next format with scaling - I don't really understand what it means. I understad it will scale the doc to fit the page but what does "next format" mean? 3. Next format with crop - I guess this one will crop my doc if it doesn't fit. 4. letter - this is a format we never use. 5. A4 - if I set it to this format it will always fit my doc to A4 but if I print myList.pdf, CUPS scales it for about 75% of the original size (the document is defined as A4)

I am working on this for few days now. I didn't move 1 inch ahead on this. I am rather frustrated. I've tried many combinations of variables but it seems like I keep on missing the right one. I would be very greatful for every tip I could get.

Many thanks, Dekers

P.S - then I use lp -o landscape myList.pdf I do get it as landscape so I deduct that this method generally works but for some reason not with sizes...

dekers

#2 Post by dekers »

Well - I found out that I only have problems with pdf files

maybe that would help...?

dekers

#3 Post by dekers »

I've solved the problem:
pdftops takes a default paper size from etc/papersize. The value there was A3 so I always got the wrong format.

The best way to fix this is to leave /etc/papersize as it is but define a general default value in /etc/cups/pdftops.conf

for the parameter psPaperSize simply change from 'letter' to 'match' this way CUPS looks into the pdf itself and gets there the actual size of the document.

Hope this helps anyone...

Dekers