Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get mess

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
meres

apt-get mess

#1 Post by meres »

new to linux so please bear with me....
this is what i have done:
copied my orig /etc/apt/sources.list to /etc/apt/orig.sources.list just in case

set sources.list to the addresses to update the apt packages
ran apt-get update
received nothing but errors telling me that couldn't resolve the addresses and that couldn't stat the files, etc.

no problem I say, I will just restore my original sources.list and forget about trying to update. no go. I still get all kinds of errors, but now it says it can't stat the cdroms.

how do I solve this mess?

I can get on the internet using mozilla, but can't seem to get there any other way.

we use a proxy server and as far as i know everything is set ok in /etc/network/interfaces

thanks

meres

apt-get mess

#2 Post by meres »

i deleted the /etc/apt/sources.list and then ran apt-cdrom add for each of my cds. now i can at least install pkgs from the cds.
i still can't figure out why i can't access the sites to update. i can surf using the web browser but can't do anything else.
are there any command line tools i can use to test my inet connection. i know that i cant ping through the proxy so i need something else.

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

Please post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list. Were you at one time able to apt-get over the internet and recently lost that ability, or have you never been able to apt-get over the internet?

meres

#4 Post by meres »

this is the sources.list that i used to try the internet to update:

Code: Select all

#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-13 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-12 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-11 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-10 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-9 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-8 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-7 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-6 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-5 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-4 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-3 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-2 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-1 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

this is the sources.list that i am using right now that works..but no internet

Code: Select all

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-13 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-12 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-11 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-10 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-9 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-8 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-7 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-6 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-5 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-4 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-3 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-2 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official amd64 Binary-1 (20050613)]/ unstable contrib main
i have never been able to apt-get over the internet. it seems like when i try to it is not going through the gateway. i am using jana proxy on a winxp system as our proxy and i can watch as all the requests go through, but nothing even shows up in jana when i run apt-get update.

if i use the gui desktop and mozilla i can see the requests appear in jana as i move from page to page.

i appreciate the help

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

You have a Jana problem, not a Debian problem. The following explanation comes from the Jana website:

Q. What's the difference between a proxy and a router?

A. A proxy server's work is to collect internet-requests (especially HTTP-requests) from his clients and send them to the internet-servers. After that, the proxy receives the webserver's answer and sends it back to his client. This is meant for HTTP only. It works with FTP also, but not with things like a ping. A router does a different job, it simply sends all requests directly to webservers and establishes a direct connection. Being connected via router is nearly the same as being connected directly to the internet. So it's very difficult for the admin to lock some sites or protocols. On router, you have to lock every port that should not work, but with a proxy, you explicitly have to make it work. So there is nearly no chance (only the HTTP-way) for trojans or spyware to "phone home" over a proxy.

meres

#6 Post by meres »

i apreciate the reply. i am still a bit unclear on a few things. how does apt-get update work? is it an FTP function or is it an HTTP function? I can FTP easily through jana on my other machine, I can also easily access web pages, etc. I already knew that functions such as ping wouldn't work through a proxy. I guess i'm just not clear on how the apt-get function works. If it mearly access another wep page, or and FTP site it should send the request to the proxy which then should forward the request to the site and back again, because that is what happens on my windows machine. does apt-get use a particular port? i can easily set jana to open any port i choose.

thanks again for all your help.

Harold

#7 Post by Harold »

At the console prompt, do man apt.conf. Sorry, but I haven't found a clearer explanation anywhere today.

Also, look at http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/177

meres

#8 Post by meres »

I took a look at the link you suggested and found some interesting information, but nothing that has proven successful. I will post the more details when i get to the office in the morning.

Does anyone regularly run apt-get update through a proxy? If so, how is your proxy configured and how is the system you are running apt-get update from configured?

Thanks again for all the advice...pretty soon something is going to work.

meres

#9 Post by meres »

Well, i want to thank you all for the advice and help. I finally have everything working the way it should as far as apt-get update is concerned. Sometimes I can be a bit dense...like the old saying, "I can't see the trees through the forest."

I had originally tried the advice from Harold via the link http://www.debian-administraton.org/articles/177 in which it stated that I should create a file called proxy in my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ directory with the following: Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy:8080";

I tried this and received a cannot resolve proxy error.

It took me a while but I finally realized I could substitute my proxy address of 192.168.0.7 for the "proxy". As soo as I did that everything worked as it should.

thanks again.
.....now if i could just get our Designjet500 plotter to work through CUPS it would be a joyous day!