Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gnome login as root only

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
meres

gnome login as root only

#1 Post by meres »

it seems that i can only use my gui desktop if i am logged in as the root user. when i try to log in under a diff acct i get the following message:

Code: Select all

xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/.Xauthority
this repeats for a while then the screen goes blank, then a bunch of other messages scroll by then the last message i get is that :
file /home/.Xauthority doesn't exist.....which is true..I can't find it anyway...
any ideas?

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Get to a console prompt and try xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session

anon

#3 Post by anon »

Have you created a user account? AFAIK it ought to be: /home/<username>/.Xauthority? adduser will add a user account for you. You could always try to create the file (although it ought to be created for you it will find permission problems), logged in as your username:
touch ./.Xauthority

meres

#4 Post by meres »

i tried all of the posted suggestions and couldn't get things going. Out of curiosity i tried starting gnome on a dif. machine and had the same problems when logged in under my user id.

I decided to srap the one machine and start over. this time before i started gnome for the first time after the install i logged in under the user id and ran startx. everything ran fine and dandy. it seems that you need to start gnome the first time under a user id before starting it from root. i guess i'll scrap the file server tomorrow and see if i have the same results.