Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
L_V

#31 Post by L_V »

plugwash wrote:debian builds with the pango font rendering back end enabled, i'm not sure exactly why
Is it something to add to the linux font management complexity nightmare ?
The lack of any explanation anywhere of some Debian specificities, is for me, a weakness of Debian.
I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user, simply because I am not a developer able to imagine the answers of all these questions specific to Debian.

Velvet Elvis

#32 Post by Velvet Elvis »

It's all explained in /user/share/doc/iceweasel

Apparently there are places in asia where if you want to use the default mozilla.org font rendering and print at the same time you're out of luck. Or something like that.

If you think fonts are a mess in western typefaces, think about languages with a few thousand characters.

this is what pango does:
http://www.pango.org/ScriptGallery

txHarleyMan

#33 Post by txHarleyMan »

L_V wrote:I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user
" You should probably choose something else if ...
you are new to Unix
you need to use top-of-the-line hardware
you want to run Debian because 'it is cool'
you want a working system and are unwilling to figure out how it works"

Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#34 Post by Lavene »

txHarleyMan wrote:
L_V wrote:I wonder if I should still use Debian, or should become an ubuntu user
" You should probably choose something else if ...
you are new to Unix"
<snip>
Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
Crap! I haven't used Unix in my life! Oh well... off to ubuntu then... :P

MeanDean

#35 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: you want to run Debian because 'it is cool'
why, isn't debian cool?
you want a working system and are unwilling to figure out how it works"
my system works and I haven't bothered to try and figure anything out since about the woody days...although I am willing - just havent seen the need

L_V

#36 Post by L_V »

Velvet Elvis wrote:It's all explained in /user/share/doc/iceweasel
I cannot check because I do not have Iceweasel installed anymore.
I can tell you layout.css.dpi key does not behave the same between Fx and IW. Why ? Don't know.
I don't understand the logic to have to install a software to find the doc, and then, read it to understand what is the software you just installed.

In summary, 95% of users think that Iceweasel= Firefox, but the logos and "details" like that.
This is not true, based on my observation.
A "normal" user would appreciate to clearly find what is Iceweasel before installing it, or at least find some support somewhere.
I even don't know if I am a "normal" user anymore.
But I still use Debian (for the moment).
But Gutsy/ubuntu could be my next one, because for example, I never succeeded to control the suspend feature with my keyboard with Etch (it worked with Feisty without doing anything).

txHarleyMan

#37 Post by txHarleyMan »

dean, youre being mean

even // I // understand this.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#38 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: Taken from "The Debian System" Concepts and Techniques
Publisher: No Starch Press; 1 edition (September 19, 2005)

Might of been true in early 2005 and before.....but that was ages ago in linux years!

txHarleyMan

#39 Post by txHarleyMan »

Very Good! You're doing a lil research now.

But I'm afraid it still holds true to this day. Debian is on the deeper end of the pool. It is not for everyone. If you want or need handholding, better to use a forked distribution.

And I am sure you have heard "you get out of something what you put into it".
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#40 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: But I'm afraid it still holds true to this day. Debian is on the deeper end of the pool. It is not for everyone. If you want or need handholding, better to use a forked distribution.
Then start a new thread and prove it to me.....without using quotes from 2005, thanks.

txHarleyMan

#41 Post by txHarleyMan »

Here's the bottom line, dean:

I have been a developer for 26 years; 17 of these years are with Unix systems running congruent with DG mini's. My job here is not to prove anything, but to ~bump~ folks in the right direction. Once the bump has been received, it is up to /you/ to decide for yourself - research the subject and draw your own conclusions or rant and rave. I will grant you that Debian is 100x easier to install now ( since Sarge, I believe ), but if you want Debian as your production system, you will have to read and learn. I dont know everything about Debian. Not even close, but I will ask. And if I get no response, I will research the subject a lil harder until I do find the answer. And I always do.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#42 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote:Here's the bottom line, dean:

I have been a developer for 26 years; 17 of these years are with Unix systems running congruent with DG mini's. My job here is not to prove anything, but to ~bump~ folks in the right direction. Once the bump has been received, it is up to /you/ to decide for yourself - research the subject and draw your own conclusions or rant and rave. I will grant you that Debian is 100x easier to install now ( since Sarge, I believe ), but if you want Debian as your production system, you will have to read and learn. I dont know everything about Debian. Not even close, but I will ask. And if I get no response, I will research the subject a lil harder until I do find the answer. And I always do.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html
I have been a nobody for 37 years and I hope that anyone that is going to make a statement that A is easier than B can back it up with more than a quote from a book that is a couple years old. Why are we talking about installing? We should be talking about using since that is what most people spend their time doing. I have experienced many people who are computer savvy yet could not contemplate installing windows, can not even grasp the concept of having to *install* their OS since it comes with one. Installing debian with the new installer is just as easy (if not easier) as any other installer and provides a lot more flexibility as well. As far as using the system (which should be the real test of how *easy* a system is) clicking on a firefox icon in ubuntu is just as hard as clicking on the epiphany icon in debian.

txHarleyMan

#43 Post by txHarleyMan »

ahem...
Yes, I can back it up, but I have already done /my/ homework.

That said - I give up. Another one onto the ash-heap of history.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#44 Post by MeanDean »

Well, I am trying to do mine. Can you help? Hold my hand a bit? Give me a bump at least? I am so lost - give me some glaring examples please, something to start with, something that provides me with a starting point to discover all the discrepancy in debian.

Can you show me a system where someone can use it without reading or learning in some manner? I would be very interested in that too.

txHarleyMan

#45 Post by txHarleyMan »

Start here:
http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku.php/debian:intro

The owner of this site is a friend of mine in Switzerland.

Now, I never said Debian and Discrepancies together. The point I am trying to make is, in my opinion, Debian is the best out here. But if you want to learn to administer it /properly/, there is a learning curve that goes along with it.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#46 Post by MeanDean »

txHarleyMan wrote: But if you want to learn to administer it /properly/, there is a learning curve that goes along with it.
Is this not true for any OS?

txHarleyMan

#47 Post by txHarleyMan »

A picture -

Learning how to drive takes time and effort - less on an VW Golf
(read: Windows XP), more on a BMW 7xx (read: Apple OS X), most on
a Porsche 911 GT2 (read: Linux) ...
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

MeanDean

#48 Post by MeanDean »

:?

uncledonniemiller

Re: Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

#49 Post by uncledonniemiller »

Problem IceWeasel does not work with most of the sites I need to use. I don't like Firefox, but it does work. even
Opera works better than IceWeasel and I like it.

mardybear

Re: Replace IceWeasel with FireFox

#50 Post by mardybear »

Talk about reviving an old thread
...flashback to 2007 :D

Iceweasel is essentially Firefox. Kindly provide any website links that don't work on Iceweasel. I've been using it daily for several months and have yet to find even one website that doesn't work.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.