Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Two things

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Berticus

Two things

#1 Post by Berticus »

It seems as though gaim deleted all my buddies and buddylists when I used it on debian. I logged on with FC4 and gaim didn't load my buddylists. I logged back on here and it said buddies were removed from the server. Any ideas on how to fix this/get my buddies and buddylists back?

Next, I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to fix the resolution, however, it doesn't seem to allow me to use "1152x864" for a resolution. Any ideas why and how I can get it to work with it? If it just can't use that resolution, any suggestions on what resolution close to that works? I know "1152x768" works, but it's too tall.

---------------------------------Edited---------------------------------
By the way, on Windows I have 1152x864 @ 60Hz. Fedora also has a resolution of 1152x864, but I'm not sure about the refresh rate...

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Berticus> I edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to fix the resolution, however, it doesn't seem to allow me to use "1152x864" for a resolution. Any ideas why and how I can get it to work with it?

Editing XF86Config-4 by hand is not my idea of fun. Try # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. Depending on where your comfort level is, consider moving to the testing branch. This will upgrade you from xfree86 to xorg. I had issues with Xfree86, and they disappeared when I moved to Xorg.

Berticus

#3 Post by Berticus »

AHHHH!!! What happened??? Okay, I tried the reconfiguration thing, and it didn't help at all. In fact it seems to have ruined things. Everybody else's screen is set to 1024x768 (I don't like it as much as 1152x864), but the log-in screen is stuck at something like 640x480. Ignore the gaim problem thing. I pretty much know what went wrong and how to fix it.

first priority - get the log-in screen to have the same resolution as when a user is logged in
second priority - get the resolution to be 1152x864

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Revert to the backup copy of your xfree86 configuration file to restore the old settings. I'm just about out of ideas, Berticus. If dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 isn't working for you, then your options are (1) massage the configuration file by hand or (2) upgrade to xorg (in testing). There is also an executable on your computer called xf86cfg. I played with the xorg version (xorgcfg), and it was worthless. Maybe you will have better luck than I did.

dawgie

#5 Post by dawgie »

Could you post part of your XF86Config-4?
What does:
$ grep -A1 `cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 | grep 'DefaultDepth'|sed s/DefaultDepth//` /etc/X11/XF86Config-4|grep 'Modes'
and
$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 | grep -A2 'Section \"Device\"'
and
$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 | grep -A4 'Section \"Monitor\"'
give you for output?
also what is your default color depth?
If your default depth is (for example) 24 bit you may be able to do higher screen resolution if you change it to 16 bit.