Create a grub bootable CD to boot win XP on the HD

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Create a grub bootable CD to boot win XP on the HD

Postby Guest » 2005-09-29 16:15

Hi..
The title gives the main idea..

I have a laptop that will not boot the OS even after using the recovery cds that restore the system to the factory defaults.
It looks like the boot sector on the HD is not working, or may be is the controller. Updating the bios did not help.
The strange thing is that i used the maxtor HD tests utility and it came out fine with no errors. Anyway the HD is toshiba, so may be the maxtor utility is not giving the right results.

I can boot cds using the cd rom... so my idea, before trying with a new HD, is to create a bootable CD that will load the windows XP installation on the HD..
I dont care how... it could be using Grub, Lilo.. or the NT loader....
The point is to be able to boot the HD partition, which looks to be fine after booting ubuntu live cd and browsing the windows file system.

Can anyone help me with grub?
I am noob with linux.. but i installed it on my own desktop pc (Ubuntu), and it is using grub.
I would need a step by step to create the cd.

Thanks a lot!

Postby dawgie » 2005-09-30 12:15

Some instructions from the Grub manual here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual ... D-ROM.html
dawgie

Postby dawgie » 2005-09-30 15:05

Note that in the instructions:
Copy the file stage2_eltorito:

$ cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito iso/boot/grub

The path to the needed Grub library file may vary on different distros.
On my Debian Sarge machine:
/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito

You can use the cammand:
$ locate stage2_eltorito to find where it is located.
dawgie

Re: Create a grub bootable CD to boot win XP on the HD

Postby grautu » 2005-10-07 21:32

There is a loader due to Slackware team: download the bootable diskette sbootmgr.dsk from <http://www.slackware.com/install/rootdisk.php>. This magic bootable diskette is universall (it does not depend on any OS) and detects all possibly bootable items of your PC (I mean both partitions and hardware devices such as floppy, CDROM, flash etc). So do click on any such item! Isn't it magic?!
grautu

Postby RWIndiana » 2005-10-08 14:14

I would like to have a disk like that as well. Unfortunately, I am unable to download. Apparently it is a Slackware package, and I have to have Slackware to get it? Linux web sites confuse me.
RWIndiana

Postby grautu » 2005-10-08 15:13

RWIndiana wrote:I would like to have a disk like that as well. Unfortunately, I am unable to download. Apparently it is a Slackware package, and I have to have Slackware to get it? Linux web sites confuse me.

You do not need to have Slackware (though the file to discuss can be found in the Slackware 10.2 package). Since the file to download is extremely small (most likely about 1MB) you may ask another gui to download for you and copy it on a diskette. However read the instructions from the Slackware net address about how to copy (it is a "dd" copying etc). Here is an address where the litle file can be downloaded separately, without using the whole Slackware distribution: <http://slackware.at/data/slackware-current/rootdisks/>. Furthermore, I guess this very litle file can also be sent by e-mail by another gui (which can download).
Good luck!
grautu

Return to General Questions