Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Total Noob, have some stupid questions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
RWIndiana

Total Noob, have some stupid questions

#1 Post by RWIndiana »

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to Linux. For someone who considers himself pretty savvy when it comes to Windows and even DOS, Linux just plain makes me feel stupid! I guess I can't expect too much of myself yet, being that it has not been 24 hours since I first experienced Linux and have already resolved several problems myself (though googling for help is so very confusing) involving the network and sharing my Windows internet connection.

Okay, first question I guess: I have Netzero as an ISP, and now that it supports Linux (or Lindows/Linspire anyway), I thought I would try to use it on my new little Debian laptop (actually an old Windows laptop). I installed the netzero.deb file using dpkg -i, but I can't find the stinkin thing anywhere! Where do I find and access/run the netzero software? I also installed a dhcp client of some kind and can't find that either. But I changed to a static IP anyway so I don't really need it. Is there a way to uninstall it (if I can find it)?

Second question: I just remembered that I have a Compact Flash card in a CF adapter in my laptop and I tried to see if I could find that just now and I don't see it. I looked on "computer" and then in "file system" but can't see anything that looks like it. Do I have to install a CF driver of some kind?

Okay third and stupidest question: The time on my desktop is an hour off, and all I can find out how to change is the date. Grr.

I have a lot more where these came from but I forgot them all.

dawgie

Re: Total Noob, have some stupid questions

#2 Post by dawgie »

RWIndiana wrote: Okay, first question I guess: I have Netzero as an ISP, and now that it supports Linux (or Lindows/Linspire anyway), I thought I would try to use it on my new little Debian laptop (actually an old Windows laptop). I installed the netzero.deb file using dpkg -i, but I can't find the stinkin thing anywhere! Where do I find and access/run the netzero software? I also installed a dhcp client of some kind and can't find that either. But I changed to a static IP anyway so I don't really need it. Is there a way to uninstall it (if I can find it)?
as root find the .deb file:
# apt-cache policy netzero
After you know the name of the .deb file remove it with:
# apt-get remove SomeFile
Second question: I just remembered that I have a Compact Flash card in a CF adapter in my laptop and I tried to see if I could find that just now and I don't see it. I looked on "computer" and then in "file system" but can't see anything that looks like it. Do I have to install a CF driver of some kind?
No.
If you use the Gnome desktop, the device will noirmally be accessable in "computer" as "USB0". You can manually add an entry in you /etc/fstab file to access the device. I am not sure of your set up. What are you using for a kernel?
Okay third and stupidest question: The time on my desktop is an hour off, and all I can find out how to change is the date. Grr.
OK, I'll go for the stupidest one . . . :)

There are two clocks. The hardware clock. The system clock.
When installing Linux, most installers ask if the hardware clock is set to local time or UTC. You should choose local time if the system is dual boot, or else the time will always be off in one OS or the other. If you're only using Linux and/or other unix-like systems such as BSD, choose UTC/GMT.
I assume that your time zone is correct. But that your hardware clock is set to your local time and that your local time is an hour off from UTC. Change your configuration so that your system is aware that your HW clock is set to your local time.
As root:
# hwclock --localtime

Judas

#3 Post by Judas »

You can list all files installed by a package by typing "dpkg --listfiles package". Also try looking for info in "/usr/share/doc/package", if it exists.

Judging by your questions I assume that you are not familiar with package managers in Debian. To make software managing easier, you should install (and learn to use) one of these:

aptitude - A console program that can operate both interactively (mc style) and non-interectively (apt-get style). It is a bit tricky to learn, but it's worth it, because it is a very powerful tool. I use it.
synaptic - A graphical program. Said to be easy to use, but I have no idea - never used it.
gnome-apt - Another graphical program. Don't know a thing about it either.

RWIndiana

#4 Post by RWIndiana »

No.
If you use the Gnome desktop, the device will noirmally be accessable in "computer" as "USB0". You can manually add an entry in you /etc/fstab file to access the device. I am not sure of your set up. What are you using for a kernel?
It's not a USB device though, it's plugged into one of the PC card slots. I noticed, though, that the system beeps when I unplug it, and beeps twice when I plug it back in, so it's gotta be around somewhere right?? I don't remember how I formatted it, but it's probably FAT32. Perhaps Linux can't read this?
Kernel . . . I hope I get this right. I typed in "linux26" when I first booted with the install CD, as I was told this would install the Linux 2.6 kernel. I don't even know if that's good or bad, come to think of it, I just assumed that was the newer one!
# hwclock --localtime
This didn't make any difference for some reason. Do I have to reconfigure my local time or something, or maybe just my system clock in the cmos? I'll try that.

Judging by your questions I assume that you are not familiar with package managers in Debian. To make software managing easier, you should install (and learn to use) one of these:

aptitude - A console program that can operate both interactively (mc style) and non-interectively (apt-get style). It is a bit tricky to learn, but it's worth it, because it is a very powerful tool. I use it.
synaptic - A graphical program. Said to be easy to use, but I have no idea - never used it.
gnome-apt - Another graphical program. Don't know a thing about it either.
No I know nothing about package managers. Although I thought "apt-get" was something I could already do by default. I guess I need a software manager of some kind because I installed firefox yesterday and the folder ended up on my desktop! I didn't know what to do with it from there so I stuck it in Home.

Judas

#5 Post by Judas »

RWIndiana wrote:I don't remember how I formatted it, but it's probably FAT32. Perhaps Linux can't read this?
It can.
RWIndiana wrote:Kernel . . . I hope I get this right. I typed in "linux26" when I first booted with the install CD, as I was told this would install the Linux 2.6 kernel. I don't even know if that's good or bad, come to think of it, I just assumed that was the newer one!
Good. To find out exact version you can type "uname -r". I'd recommend installing hal-device-manager. It provides information about your hardware to you and the kernel. See below about installing software.
RWIndiana wrote:Do I have to reconfigure my local time or something, or maybe just my system clock in the cmos? I'll try that.
Yes, do that. But set your clock to UTC time. Then boot into Linux and type "tzconfig" in root console to select your timezone.
RWIndiana wrote:No I know nothing about package managers.
I see. Well, package manager provides a fun way to install prepackaged software from Debian software repository. It currently includes over 15490 packages, so chances are that you will never have to install software from elsewhere.

This is Synaptic Package Manager. Install it by typing the following commands in a root console:

"apt-get update" - Updates database of available software.
"apt-get install menu-xdg" - This is unrelated, but this package is needed to have all the software listed in "start menu" on most systems. If you already have it or it is unavailable, just forget about it.
"apt-get install synaptic" - That's it. Now start Synaptic and enjoy.
RWIndiana wrote:I thought "apt-get" was something I could already do by default.
It's a default tool in Debian. Package managers like Synaptic use it to install software.
RWIndiana wrote:I installed firefox yesterday and the folder ended up on my desktop! I didn't know what to do with it from there so I stuck it in Home.
Delete it and install Firefox using Synaptic.

RWIndiana

#6 Post by RWIndiana »

okay, wow, looks like i'm having some problems.
Installing synaptic, I first did what you suggested:

debian:/home/rodney# apt-get update
Reading Package Lists... Done
debian:/home/rodney# apt-get install menu-xdg
Building Dependency Tree... Done
menu-xdg is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
debian:/home/rodney# apt-get install synaptic
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate

Okay, so then I downloaded the synaptic .deb file from the Debian website:

debian:/home/rodney# dpkg -i synaptic_0.57.4_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package synaptic.
(Reading database ... 68516 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking synaptic (from synaptic_0.57.4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of synaptic:
synaptic depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6-3.10; however:
Package libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6-3.10 is not installed.
synaptic depends on libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0); however:
Version of libatk1.0-0 on system is 1.8.0-4.
synaptic depends on libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.1); however:
Version of libgcc1 on system is 1:3.4.3-13.
synaptic depends on libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.5.1); however:
Version of libglade2-0 on system is 1:2.4.2-2.
synaptic depends on libncurses5 (>= 5.4-5); however:
Version of libncurses5 on system is 5.4-4.
synaptic depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.2); however:
Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.8.1-1.
synaptic depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.1); however:
Package libstdc++6 is not installed.
synaptic depends on libxml2 (>= 2.6.20); however:
Version of libxml2 on system is 2.6.16-7.
synaptic depends on libxrender1 (>> 1:0.9.0-1); however:
Version of libxrender1 on system is 0.8.3-7.
dpkg: error processing synaptic (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
synaptic

Do I need a lobotomy yet? I seem to hit problems at every turn.

Judas

#7 Post by Judas »

The first error is because it cannot find a package named Synaptic. And the second is because you are trying to install wrong version of Synaptic.

Make sure that file /etc/apt/sources.list contains something like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
And retry "apt-get update" and "apt-get install synaptic". This file, as you have probably already guessed, contains list of servers where deb packages are kept. You can also use "apt-setup" to get a list of mirrors.

If this does not help, post output of:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
cat /etc/debian_version
dpkg -C

dawgie

#8 Post by dawgie »

Quote:
# hwclock --localtime

This didn't make any difference for some reason. Do I have to reconfigure my local time or something, or maybe just my system clock in the cmos? I'll try that.
It did make a difference. If you are dual booting with M$, then your hwclock should be set to local time. The command created a config file to keep your system aware that the hwclock is now set to local time and will keep you system time the same hour as your hwclock. I should have had you adjust your system clock 1st.
If you boot to windows, you will notice that your clock is 1 hour ahead.
It needs to be set back one hour.

AFAS synaptic, it looks like you are trying to install a version that is not compatable with with some of your system.

use the command:
# apt-get -f install
to fix apt. It will likly remove the partially installed synaptic package.
Try
# apt-cache search synaptic
to see if there is something with the synaptic name in your sources list.
You may need to add some sources
post your /etc/apt/sources.list

AFAS your CFcard, try to list the partition(s)
# fdisk -l /dev/sd[a-e]
You may get some output like this:

Disk /dev/sda: 128 MB, 128450560 bytes
8 heads, 32 sectors/track, 980 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 256 * 512 = 131072 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1         979      125296    6  FAT16
post it here.

RWIndiana

#9 Post by RWIndiana »

Everything seems to be working fine now. Got the 'apt-get update" working and synaptic is now installed.

Here is what my sources.list looked like before:
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main

# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
Here is what it looks like now:
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r0a _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20050607)]/ unstable contrib main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

Here is what is developing on the CF front:
debian:/etc/apt# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 6007 MB, 6007357440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 730 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 696 5590588+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 697 730 273105 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 697 730 273073+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/hde: 32 MB, 32112640 bytes
4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 490 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hde1 * 1 489 31280 4 FAT16 <32M
debian:/etc/apt# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3737, errno = 0
The 32mb is my CF card (I see it is FAT16 and not 32 after all). So at least it is recognized, though I don't know how to access it. I also do not understand the last two lines there (the error message).

Judas

#10 Post by Judas »

Uncomment the security line in sources.list. Security updates are nice to have.

As for the CF thing. You should be able to access it by adding this line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hde1   /mnt/something   auto   users,noauto   0   0
Replace "/mnt/something" with some directory, where you want to mount it, "/mnt/flash" for example. And don't forget to create that directory if it does not exist.

RWIndiana

#11 Post by RWIndiana »

That worked! Thank you! I am able to access it now.

Is it possible to make it available on the network as well? I don't need to, but if I set up a server with debian some day I will want to know how to make an entire drive appear as a network share on Windows.

Judas

#12 Post by Judas »

Sharing with Win is done using Samba, as answered in another topic started by you.