Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RealVNC

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
RWIndiana

RealVNC

#1 Post by RWIndiana »

Hi all, I've finally got VNC up and running, but not the way I had hoped. I'm taking the chance that someone here is familiar with RealVNC.

Anyway, When I connect to Windows from my Debian server, I get the exact display as it is seen on the Windows monitor. I like that. When I connect to the Debian machine from the XP machine, however, all I get is a grey screen with a root terminal. This is okay, I guess, though I'd rather be able to view the actual desktop (gnome to be exact) that is displayed on the Debian system's monitor.

The real problem is, if I close the terminal by accident or something, I am left simply with a grey screen and am unable to do anything at all. Is there some sort of keyboard shortcut or something I could do to re-open a terminal? It's very frustrating.

Better yet, if someone knows how I can get the *actual* desktop to display, that would be awesome.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

About configuring VNC:
Edit the /etc/vnc.conf. Write this line:

Code: Select all

$vncStartup = "any/script"
Upon executing 'vncserver', it will execute the command you specified. Of course, you may specify a script loaded with commands, as if you edited your .xinitrc file.

About sharing your current desktop:
I don't know about gnome, but you can share KDE's desktop this way:
In Control Center, go Internet&network->Desktop sharing.
Select "Allow uninvited connections" and "Allow uninvited connections to control the desktop". You may want to uncheck the "Confirm uninvited connections before accepting" as well. Specify a password for the connection.
At the "network" tab, uncheck the "Assign port automatically" checkbox, and write the number '5900' to the "Port" input field. After you apply the changes, any VNC viewer can connect your desktop.

RWIndiana

#3 Post by RWIndiana »

okay, by using "exec gnome-session" I am able to get *a* desktop, but it's the root desktop. is there a way I can get my own desktop (rodney instead of root)? not that it really matters, I guess, unless it is a security risk (which may partly apply to the next question).
Question 2: When I close VNC on the client, can I just leave the gnome session open semi-permanently on the server? Will this cause me headaches, being that I have a server with only 64mb of RAM?

Also, about the "Control Center" in KDE, is this in KDE itself, or in the vncserver configuration?