Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Konqueror crashing with fish://

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
esaym

Konqueror crashing with fish://

#1 Post by esaym »

I am not sure if anyone uses konqueror's gui front end for SSH, fish, but since the kdebase update today in lenny it is now broken. For the last few months it has had a random crashing problem. You would be browsing through some directories and then a blank page would be displayed and you would have to hit refresh a bunch of times and then it would come back. Now since this kdebase update today, I can't use it at all. It just constantly crashes. But the funny thing is that it works if I execute konqueror as root. Of course it still has the random crashing problem but it is usable atleast. I took this as a hint that some konqueror config files might be screwed up on the local user. So I cleared out all the konqueror config files. However it did not help anything. total bummer :( I am right in the middle of configuring a couple of new servers too. At least I can still use it as root I guess.

I have a trace of me running fish with konqueror as the local user (and it failing) and a trace of me running it as root and it working:

http://www.lindsay.ath.cx/logs/konqueror.tar.gz

Just to clarify, there are 2 problems. Fish has a random crashing problem that has been going on for several months now. It happened after the kernel upgrade from 18 to 21 in lenny. Strangely this only effected my desktop with the k7 kernel and not my laptop with the 686 kernel. I can at least live with the random crashing though.

But now there is this new problem today after the kdebase upgrade. Trying to run fish in konqueror just refuses to work unless konqueror is root.

When fish crashes this is left in the user logs:

" kioslave: ####### CRASH ###### protocol = fish pid = 6888 signal = 29
ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in /tmp/buildd/kdebase-3.5.7/./libkonq/konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81) "

esaym

#2 Post by esaym »

Does anyone have this problem? A new kdebase version was rolled out today but it did not fix anything.

esaym

#3 Post by esaym »

Ok I got it fixed. I made a new user and konqueror did not have any of these problems. So I went back into my old account and just deleted the whole /home/user/.kde directory. This reset all my settings but fish now works fine. No more crashes at all. I also found out that one can use "sftp://" in the same manner as "fish://".

esaym

#4 Post by esaym »

well crap it came back today! It won't run fish at all, it doesn't crash, just won't even start. Console displays: ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in /home/adeodato/tmp/b/kdebase-3.5.7/./libkonq/konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81)

What the heck is going on? :shock:

Luckily, very luckily, the sftp:// that I had just discovered still is working fine. But still, this fish thing bothers me.

Bob_Robertson

Thanks for sftp

#5 Post by Bob_Robertson »

Yep, this same problem started for me last week. Thanks for the sftp hint. I'd seen it in the kinfocenter protocols list, but not tried it.

Running Sid, I noticed that kio was updated yesterday and hoped it would make a difference, it didn't. Ticket #445820 is tracking this, which makes me wonder just how many people are effected.

I have another system that hasn't been updated in a month, I think I'll try copying over /usr/lib/kde3/kio_fish.so from that system and seeing if it corrects the problem as was suggested by he who opened the bugreport above.

**addendum**

No such luck, copying the old kio_fish.so over did not work. So we shall see what comes of the bug.