Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Moving to Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Brett

Moving to Debian

#1 Post by Brett »

I'm pondering as to whether or not to move to Debian from Ubuntu. I want to try Debian without it being candy-coated by Ubuntu, but I'm concerned it will be difficult to maintain an up-to-date system. Is there any advice you could give a newbie to help me paint a better picture as to what Debian is like.

Thanks,
Brett Beeman

startx

#2 Post by startx »

but I'm concerned it will be difficult to maintain an up-to-date system
well depends on what your system is doing. running server like services and understand "up-to-date" in sence of security, debian is probably the easiest system to maintain.

ubuntu and debian are sharing the basic tools for maintainance (as apt, dpkg etc), so there shouldn't be a big difference.

if you understand "up-to-date" in sence of "newest software versions" you will have to run the unstable branch (or getting familiar with the so called backports)
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

#3 Post by Guest »

Well, I'm not so hardcore that I'm trying to run "bleeding edge" software, but I've been told that Debian systems are hard to maintain when compared to Ubuntu.