Killing X. How?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Killing X. How?

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-12 15:51

I recently installed Debian Sarge. I am very pleased with it so far. I tried installing nvidia drivers and know that I need to do so from console, at least I did it that way when I had Slackware. I tried ctl-alt-bksp and it kills X but goes right back to the graphical login. I tried going to a virtual terminal and changing the runlevel but it doesn't kill X for me.

How can I shut X down?
jpkirchner

Postby piper » 2005-10-12 18:18

Have you tried

as root

Ctrl + Alt + F1

init 3
piper

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-12 18:25

I tried that one too. I received no error message back but when I tried to install the driver I got the message that the X server was running. I read earlier today more on the runlevels in Debian. What was annoying is hitting ctrl-alt-bksp and having the darned thing just kill and then restart X.

I think I will check into killing that graphical login altogether. I like starting in console and going to x if I feel like it. I am relatively new so I am not sure all the files to edit. I will go back to Debian page for the docs.

This is my first Debian install so I just chose the desktop option. I am thinking of redoing the installation to just the basic system and then adding X and then my window manager. I have an older pc (a 766 celeron coppermine and only 128 megs ram with a 64 meg nvidia card) and I don't like the way kde runs so why waste the disk space.

I found I don't use a lot of what got installed--like I enjoy using Dillo so I ditch Firefox and I like sylpheed for my mail. I think I shall have to start over and install only what I want....

Thanks for the help. As I think about it, I may not have signed in as root but su'd. Not sure if that makes a difference....

EDIT: All set. I reinstalled without all the extras.
jpkirchner

Postby dawgie » 2005-10-13 14:14

piper wrote:Have you tried

as root

Ctrl + Alt + F1

init 3

init 1

Will go to single user mode.
After you are finished, go back to multiple user mode with:

init 3
dawgie

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-13 14:30

dawgie wrote:
piper wrote:Have you tried

as root

Ctrl + Alt + F1

init 3

init 1

Will go to single user mode.
After you are finished, go back to multiple user mode with:

init 3

Thanks. I did find this after reading more pieces of the reference manual from the Debian site.

I am having difficulties with getting the Nvidia driver to install correctly. I followed the directions and was greeted with a startx failure saying I do not have an nvidia card :( I am going back over my notes tonight. Perhaps it is because I have the 2.6.8 kernel. More reading :)
jpkirchner

Postby pigah » 2005-10-13 16:51

how about
Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/[k,g,x]dm stop
?
pigah

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-13 17:02

Thanks. I did get X to stop. I am working on getting the drivers installed for my nvidia card now. I think it may be something simple. I am going to check my configs and make sure I commented out the right things, added the right things and such.
jpkirchner

Postby Demetrius » 2005-10-13 19:20

Debian uses runlevel 2 as the default. If gdm/kdm/xdm is installed it will be started by a script in /etc/rc2.d most likely called something like S99xdm. Just rename that script to something like K99xdm and then 'init 2'. If you want your graphical login manager back just rename the script back to its original name and start it up.
Demetrius

Postby jobezone » 2005-10-15 14:32

jpkirchner wrote:Thanks. I did get X to stop. I am working on getting the drivers installed for my nvidia card now. I think it may be something simple. I am going to check my configs and make sure I commented out the right things, added the right things and such.

Tip:check out the package module-assistant, and inside it nvidia-kernel .
I haven't tried it, though.
Last edited by jobezone on 2005-10-15 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!
jobezone

Postby pafkata » 2005-10-15 15:20

hmm , I am using a much easier and brutal method

#killall kdm

or

#killall gdm

depending on the desktop manager you use

8) 8)
pafkata

Postby Guest » 2005-10-16 12:34

jobezone wrote:
jpkirchner wrote:Thanks. I did get X to stop. I am working on getting the drivers installed for my nvidia card now. I think it may be something simple. I am going to check my configs and make sure I commented out the right things, added the right things and such.

Thanks for the tip! I started looking into this yesterday after I saw a reference to it on Linux Questions.

booting to console question

Postby prplxd » 2005-10-17 11:47

Demetrius wrote:If gdm/kdm/xdm is installed it will be started by a script in /etc/rc2.d most likely called something like S99xdm. Just rename that script to something like K99xdm and then 'init 2'. If you want your graphical login manager back just rename the script back to its original name and start it up.

Hello,
S99xdm is a symlink to /etc/init.d/xdm

How does one rename it from the CLI to K99xdm?

Or could I just delete S99xdm? And recreate the symlink when I need to?

If so, my next question would be, "How would I go about re-creating the symlink so I could boot back into the GUI,...if I wanted to do that again"?
prplxd

Re: booting to console question

Postby Demetrius » 2005-10-17 14:59

prplxd wrote:Hello,

If so, my next question would be, "How would I go about re-creating the symlink so I could boot back into the GUI,...if I wanted to do that again"?

To rename you just cd into /etc/rc2.d then mv S99xdm K99xdm. When the init system looks at the links in the rc*.d directory it will only start those whose names begin with an "S" so after you rename it init will skip that script when starting in that runlevel.

If you delete the S99xdm link in rc2.d and later want to recreate it you just need to cd into /etc/rc2.d and then ln -s /etc/init.d/xdm S99xdm.
Demetrius

Re: booting to console question

Postby Guest » 2005-10-17 22:35

Demetrius wrote:
prplxd wrote:Hello,

To rename you just cd into /etc/rc2.d then mv S99xdm K99xdm. When the init system looks at the links in the rc*.d directory it will only start those whose names begin with an "S" so after you rename it init will skip that script when starting in that runlevel.

If you delete the S99xdm link in rc2.d and later want to recreate it you just need to cd into /etc/rc2.d and then ln -s /etc/init.d/xdm S99xdm.

Wow! That was simple enough.
I didn't think that the mv command could be worked like that.

And thanks for the symlink info; I need to remember that one.

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-19 23:53

jobezone wrote:

Thank you for the tip!!! I read up on module assistant, found more on this forum and I got to see my nvidia splash screen tonight! Wahoo!

Thanks to all who assisted. And thanks to the man pages and debian docs.... :D
jpkirchner

Next

Return to General Questions