Killing X. How?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Postby geoffb » 2005-10-20 00:49

jpkirchner wrote:
jobezone wrote:
jpkirchner wrote:Thanks. I did get X to stop. I am working on getting the drivers installed for my nvidia card now. I think it may be something simple. I am going to check my configs and make sure I commented out the right things, added the right things and such.

Tip:check out the package module-assistant, and inside it nvidia-kernel .
I haven't tried it, though.

Thank you for the tip!!! I read up on module assistant, found more on this forum and I got to see my nvidia splash screen tonight! Wahoo!

Thanks to all who assisted. And thanks to the man pages and debian docs.... :D

Good to hear you got it working. Be sure to install nvidia-settings, as well.
geoffb

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-20 01:25

Funny you should mention them.... I found them when I searched for nvidia. I got them after I had success in getting the drivers installed. I loved seeing that splash screen :)
jpkirchner

Postby geoffb » 2005-10-20 01:53

jpkirchner wrote:Funny you should mention them.... I found them when I searched for nvidia. I got them after I had success in getting the drivers installed. I loved seeing that splash screen :)

I hear you. I had some trouble when I first installed the drivers too (I might've set too high a resolution, or else the kernel-headers differed in version from the image), and got the dreaded "no screens found" error.

The only thing worse, of course, was when I got a "kernel panic" error -- and a halted boot.
geoffb

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-20 02:05

geoffb wrote:
jpkirchner wrote:Funny you should mention them.... I found them when I searched for nvidia. I got them after I had success in getting the drivers installed. I loved seeing that splash screen :)

I hear you. I had some trouble when I first installed the drivers too (I might've set too high a resolution, or else the kernel-headers differed in version from the image), and got the dreaded "no screens found" error.

The only thing worse, of course, was when I got a "kernel panic" error -- and a halted boot.

I had the problem with the kernel headers the first time. Then I had the kernel panic when I tried to fix the first issue. Then I figured I better get reading. :)

I have recently made the move to linux and jumped right in. I wiped windoze off the pc and tried a couple distros. I had settled on eiither Debian or Slackware but Debian has won out. It was tough as I liked both. I read the whole slack book :) I am reading the Debian reference--a little here and there. I keep kicking myself for always thinking Linux was so difficult. Sure, there is learning but that is the fun part.

I have this running on an old eMachine 766 celeron (coppermine) with 128 megs of ram and a geforce 2 mx400. KDE runs better than xp ever did on this. I had to try it :) I actually like the lighter weight wm's. I am using Windowmaker right now as I read up on enlightenment. I like XFCE too.

Thanks again for the help!

John
jpkirchner

Postby geoffb » 2005-10-20 03:01

jpkirchner wrote:
geoffb wrote:

I had the problem with the kernel headers the first time. Then I had the kernel panic when I tried to fix the first issue. Then I figured I better get reading. :)

I have recently made the move to linux and jumped right in. I wiped windoze off the pc and tried a couple distros. I had settled on eiither Debian or Slackware but Debian has won out. It was tough as I liked both. I read the whole slack book :) I am reading the Debian reference--a little here and there. I keep kicking myself for always thinking Linux was so difficult. Sure, there is learning but that is the fun part.

I have this running on an old eMachine 766 celeron (coppermine) with 128 megs of ram and a geforce 2 mx400. KDE runs better than xp ever did on this. I had to try it :) I actually like the lighter weight wm's. I am using Windowmaker right now as I read up on enlightenment. I like XFCE too.

Thanks again for the help!

John

No problem, John!

Be sure to check out New Linux User and The GNU/Linux User Show; a friend of mine runs both, and he has saved me on countless occasions. And being fairly new himself, he knows what it's like to be new.
geoffb

Postby jpkirchner » 2005-10-20 13:50

Thanks for the links. Got 'em bookmarked. Can't have too many sources of knowledge :)

John
jpkirchner

Postby xequence » 2005-10-23 19:02

I dont know if you still need it, but ctrl + alt + backspace restarts X I think.
xequence

Postby Jeroen » 2005-10-24 19:07

Renaming symlinks in /etc/rcX.d is irky, I tend to suggest installing the file-rc package (yes, you will get a scary message from apt or dpkg when you do so, but that one is safe to ignore -- beware, that message is not *generally* safe to ignore, only in this case! It's a bug that it's displayed to you at all). Then all the /etc/rcX.d directories are gone, and you have instead a /etc/runlevel.conf configuration file you can edit with your text editor (like nano) and simply put a '#' in front of the programs you don't want to start.
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Questions