Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm never able to add anything without errors...

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

I'm never able to add anything without errors...

#1 Post by Guest »

I'm a novice to Linux, but very interested in learning. I currently have a machine setup with i686-pc-linux-gnu. A friend did the initial installation for me so I could run MRTG to monitor some of my routers. He is out of the picture, so I'm not really sure what all he did or did not do during the installation.

Since, I've wanted to load some other things to trial such as MySql and Free Radius. Each time, I've downloaded the tar files and followed the various "How To" docs to do the installation. Everytime, I get errors in during the "./configuration ... make" process which results in only frustration because I'm stumped by Linux vs. the application I'm trying to learn in the first place. Typically, the error is resulting from some library file not installed on the system.

To my questions:

1. I do have some knowledge of UNIX from about 5 yrs. ago which gets me through moving around the file structure, but is the Debian distribution intended for more advanced Linux users?

2. Perhaps my friend just rushed the installation and that is why I'm running into problems. Is there a way I can easily recover to a load that is stable, complete, and a bit more user friendly for someone trying to learn? How would I go about doing that without loosing the few things that I have running that are working: MRTG and BB?

3. The only interface with this machine is through the shell. Would I be better off adding some of the gui interfaces to better manage the system? I tried this once also and it failed, so is there an easier way?

4. I never seem to notice Debian binaries for apps such as MySql that I want to add to the machine. Do they call it something different, but it will still work?

Thank you,

-Waylock

waylock

#2 Post by waylock »

I wasn't logged in when I submitted that...oopss!!

-Waylock

geoffb

Re: I'm never able to add anything without errors...

#3 Post by geoffb »

Anonymous wrote:I'm a novice to Linux, but very interested in learning. I currently have a machine setup with i686-pc-linux-gnu. A friend did the initial installation for me so I could run MRTG to monitor some of my routers. He is out of the picture, so I'm not really sure what all he did or did not do during the installation.

Since, I've wanted to load some other things to trial such as MySql and Free Radius. Each time, I've downloaded the tar files and followed the various "How To" docs to do the installation. Everytime, I get errors in during the "./configuration ... make" process which results in only frustration because I'm stumped by Linux vs. the application I'm trying to learn in the first place. Typically, the error is resulting from some library file not installed on the system.

To my questions:

1. I do have some knowledge of UNIX from about 5 yrs. ago which gets me through moving around the file structure, but is the Debian distribution intended for more advanced Linux users?

2. Perhaps my friend just rushed the installation and that is why I'm running into problems. Is there a way I can easily recover to a load that is stable, complete, and a bit more user friendly for someone trying to learn? How would I go about doing that without loosing the few things that I have running that are working: MRTG and BB?

3. The only interface with this machine is through the shell. Would I be better off adding some of the gui interfaces to better manage the system? I tried this once also and it failed, so is there an easier way?

4. I never seem to notice Debian binaries for apps such as MySql that I want to add to the machine. Do they call it something different, but it will still work?

Thank you,

-Waylock
Try using Debian packages instead of source code.

Go here, click the distro you're using (testing, unstable, stable), and you should be able to find the packages in question. Many software creators will distribute .deb packages, as it is one of the most popular flavours of GNU/Linux.

I believe tasksel will get your Desktop system configured.

This might be the version of MySQL you need; you didn't include anything about your setup:

http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/w ... nary-i386/

I found it on Google in about 10 seconds.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by Jeroen »

I strongly suggest to simply use synaptic, or aptitude failing a graphical user interface. That is (one of the) package managers for Debian, and those have search features to make you be able to find 'mysql' and the like, and install them hassle-free.

Do not use backports.org unless you know what you're doing, those are much less supported.

Phar-Ted

#5 Post by Phar-Ted »

I'm having a hell of a time still trying to figure out tarballs, seems all I get is errors and stuff not found.
Are you guys saying I don't have to be totally confused by tar balls?

Just like the guy above, I do what the install instuctions say, and NOTHING works :x

Incredibly frustrating!

I'm trying to DL a sound codec:
realtek ALC658C compliant with AC97 v2.3 spec.

I have now spent 2-3 days trying to instal tarballs, this is ridiculous, is there not something like a winzip for this?

I'll look at the links and see if I find my codec, maybe I'll have sound before the end of the month?
I believe there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Good thing about that!

jpkirchner

#6 Post by jpkirchner »

I can understand you are frustrated. As I have said in another thread and as is stated in a post above yours---use the synaptic package manager. If you need ALSA installed it can be found via synaptic/apt-get.

What kind of install did you do anyway? I chose desktop during the install and got everything I needed. Did you deviate from the install?

I also have recommended you read and google more in the other thread yet you seem unwilling to do so. I have mentioned using the package manager before and you have not indicated you have tried or not tried it.

As for the winzip. I also recommended you try the command 'man tar'. You do not need winzip. Everything is right there.

There is also a wonderful Debian reference manual both on line and for download via the package manager.

Also, if you use the package manager you won't even be messing with the tar balls.

While I understand your impatience and frustration--we all want sound to work--learning a new O/S requires some work sometimes--a little reading, a little googling and patience.