Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install wxPython, newbie

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
310linuxuser

Install wxPython, newbie

#1 Post by 310linuxuser »

Hi-

Trying to install wxPython...couldn't get apt-get to find the file so I followed these instructions

Debian

Use the following commands if you can't find the relevant wxPython using apt-get:

apt-get install alien
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev python2.3-dev
wget http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/wxpytho ... -1.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'pyver 2.3' wxPython2.6-2.6.1.0-1.src.rpm
cd rpmdir
alien *py2.3*
dpkg -i *py2.3*.deb

What is "cd rpmdir"? Is there a generic rpm directory I should be looking for? Does "*py2.3*" mean a specific file name or is it a generic representation for something else? Pretty confused...

geoffb

Re: Install wxPython, newbie

#2 Post by geoffb »

310linuxuser wrote:Hi-

Trying to install wxPython...couldn't get apt-get to find the file so I followed these instructions

Debian

Use the following commands if you can't find the relevant wxPython using apt-get:

apt-get install alien
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev freeglut3-dev python2.3-dev
wget http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/wxpytho ... -1.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'pyver 2.3' wxPython2.6-2.6.1.0-1.src.rpm
cd rpmdir
alien *py2.3*
dpkg -i *py2.3*.deb

What is "cd rpmdir"? Is there a generic rpm directory I should be looking for? Does "*py2.3*" mean a specific file name or is it a generic representation for something else? Pretty confused...
It looks like -- when it comes to Debian packages -- the wxPython files are named in the python-wx* format. Perhaps you'll find what you need here. I could be wrong, though, as I don't know anything about wxPython.