Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lots of Questions Embedded In Here - Hope it's not too much

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GboroLinux

Lots of Questions Embedded In Here - Hope it's not too much

#1 Post by GboroLinux »

I have been reading up on Debian GNU/Linux but have a few questions before I install. I am no computer expert, but I have been around computers for some time so I am not a newbie either. I am a newbie to GNU/Linux and Unix-type OSs. I hope someone can answer my questions. If these questions show way too much ignorance of GNU/Linux and I should back off Debian for now and try and easier brand of Linux please let me know. I would prefer to go with the original but am aware of Debian-based distros that might be easier to learn with.

I have an AMD64 CPU. I am working under the assumption that I DO NOT HAVE TO USE the AMD version of Debian, but if I do I would see a speed increase. If I do use the AMD version of Debian must I only use AMD 64 version programs, or can I fall back to regular 32-bit x86 programs, where AMD versions do not exist.

Can I use RPM packages with Debian? Not sure why I would want to but am curious if I can? How are programs that are not listed as APT or RPM packages handled?

I have both an ATI AIW 9600 and ATI HDTV Wonder cards. The 9600 has not worked for video-in with WinXP in a long time, I think the video-in part of the card is bad b/c the video out still works of course. If I can't get the AIW 9600 to work with Linux drivers are there any drivers for the HDTV wonder for Linux. I am aware of the GATOS project. Does the inability of my to find APT packages of the ATI drivers mean I can't use them, or do I need to compile the drivers on my side or what? Which brings me to my next question.

Can I install programs without using the apt or aptitude tools? Thinking of the Openoffice 2.0 files. Can I go to the OO.org site and download the OO.org 2.0 program for linux/x86 version and install it without any problems? Will all dependencies be taken care of by OO.org? Would using the AMD64 version of Debian make a difference in this since there is no Linux AMD64 specific versions of OO.org 2.0?

Do I need to install XFree86 or X.org or both versions to have an x-server?

I did a net-install over the weekend to practice and learn and the net install did not have X windows. I think I tried to get x-server xorg but had no luck, I think I finally got Xwindows when I got GNOME through apt-get and I never got around to seeing if I had X.org or Xfree86.

I hove 1 GB of ram with two 80 GB HD. One drive is WinXP. The second drive is for video files work. How much space on the second HD do I need for a swap file and how much for Debian proper? I might also put about 5-10 GB as FAT32 to let WinXP and Linux send files back and forth. The rest of the 80gb drive will be formatted NTFS for use in Windows. What file system ext3, Reiser4 or FAT32 should I use for Linux. I had thought of using all 80GB as FAT32, but some of my video files are too large for the file capacity I need. I have read about some NTFS drivers/programs that can read ext2/3 file systems. Anything like that to allow Windows XP read Resier or Reiser4 or the other options XFS, JFS, etc.

Penguin Skinner

#2 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Can't answer all your questions, but will reply to a few.

RPM packages may (generally) be installed on a Debian system using a utility called 'alien', You'll find it in the Debian package repositories, or download it from the Debian package site - http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

The fglrx driver installer for your ATI card can be downloaded from the ATI site - http://www2.ati.com/ . Which version you will need will depend on whether you have XFree86 or Xorg installed, and the version.

Linux applications can be installed on your Debian system without using the Debian package tools (apt, aptitude, synaptic, dpkg, dselect) but as you seem to already appreciate, there can be problems in doing so. It's up to you to handle any dependency issues, and also to deal with any conflicts or issues that may arise with Debian package system. On my system, I've installed Opera, Java, the ATI video driver, and a few small utilities 'outside' of Debian's package management system, with no problem, other than that a recent dist-upgrade (Deb-speak for system-wide upgrade) decided it really needed to remove Opera. Opera reinstalled just fine afterwards. :)

I'm guessing Debian stable may still use XFree86 (?) but testing and unstable both have gone over to Xorg, as will stable before too much longer. From the user's standpoint, the differences really aren't that great, so if you wind up installing XFree86 for now, the change-over won't be painful (voice of recent experience.)

I also have 1 GB of ram, and use 1.5GB swap; swap rarely gets used, tho' I don't run many heavy-duty applications. A very complete Debian installation with both KDE and Gnome can take up as little as 2GB of HD space or less. I have a habit of sizing partitions at 5GB for Linux installations, and they've always been more than sufficient - part of the reason for which being, I keep my data on a couple FAT32 paritions so that everything can be shared between different Linuxes, WinXP, and FreeBSD.

I use Reiser (3.6) exclusively for Linux. I would recommend avoiding ext3.

As far as setting up partitions/file systems for file sharing, it will sort of depend on your usage habits and personal preferences. I've all but migrated completely away from WinXP, and only keep it around just in case I find myself with no other option with some office document or website that I can't get to 'play' any other way. As indicated above, I'm partial to FAT32 partitions for data, just because they make sharing and recovery easy. My WinXP install only occupies ~4.25GB (which has definite advantages when backing up using a partition imaging utility.) So, although you can't do dynamic volumes with FAT32, I might suggest considering making two FAT32 partitions for your data, one ~32GB in size (WinXP's size limit for formatting FAT32) and the other the same size or smaller, depending on how you allocate space on your HD for Linux(es) and WinXP.

Hope that helps ... or if not, that someone smarter than me chimes in with something better! :)

GboroLinux

#3 Post by GboroLinux »

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid my long question post, where my answers can sometimes be found in other locations if I look, was not good form. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Some questions are now answered.

grautu

Re: Lots of Questions Embedded In Here - Hope it's not too m

#4 Post by grautu »

GboroLinux wrote:How are programs that are not listed as APT or RPM packages handled?
There is no universal answer since there is no universal form of packages.
GboroLinux wrote:Can I install programs without using the apt or aptitude tools?
You can install packages even from source, therefore without using aptitude. However, keep in mind that using systematically the aptitude family, you have permanent control on installed packages and dependencies/conflicts/recommendations, you may remove and/or purge packages (also with complete control over the remaining system) etc. To the contrary, if giving these tools up, you have to keep in mind what you did from time to time (it is a jungle of dependencies). Furthermore, keep in mind that Debian has almost always a "Debianized" offer even in what concern the most "exotic" Linux programs; just surf the net to find such offers.
GboroLinux wrote: I have both an ATI AIW 9600 and ATI HDTV Wonder cards. The 9600 has not worked for video-in with WinXP in a long time, I think the video-in part of the card is bad b/c the video out still works of course. If I can't get the AIW 9600 to work with Linux drivers are there any drivers for the HDTV wonder for Linux. I am aware of the GATOS project. Does the inability of my to find APT packages of the ATI drivers mean I can't use them, or do I need to compile the drivers on my side or what? Which brings me to my next question.

I'm very-very skeptical that your Debian box (or any other Linux box) will do the best with your video devices.
GboroLinux wrote:Will all dependencies be taken care of by OO.org? Would using the AMD64 version of Debian make a difference in this since there is no Linux AMD64 specific versions of OO.org 2.0?
Let Debian aptitude take care of all, unless you are an expert.
GboroLinux wrote:Do I need to install XFree86 or X.org or both versions to have an x-server?
As far as I know, Debian's aptitude would automatically uninstall one, if installing another. However, Debian's uninstalling may follow a very clever scheme: no executable file is either erased or emasculated (by making it non-executable) but all dependencies involving the key executable file are removed. Therefore, the rest of the system simply forget that program. The advantage of this system consists in its convenient reversibility. So pay atention to Debian's system dependencies!