Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newb Apt-Get Questions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cyberbobcity

Newb Apt-Get Questions

#1 Post by cyberbobcity »

I'm a newb and I had a few apt-get questions. Let's say I decide to install the x-window-system and use apt-get to install it. Let's also say for some reason I would like to totally remove it and everything that it installed it. I thought apt-get was supposed to detect all these dependencies and remove them? So if I install x-windows and it says installed 70 packages, when I remove it, without installing anything else, it should remove 70 packages correct?? Hey i'm a newb, what do I know. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

apt will not detect this situation, and not find the packages that you have installed just because of x-windows-system. It could be that meanwhile you're using one of those packages on their own right...

Use some tool like debfoster to get rid of the packages you no longer want. Or use aptitude to prevent situations like this, as aptitude *does* store what packages were installed because you wanted them explicitely, and which packages you want because they were just needed to fulfill some dependency.

tovis

#3 Post by tovis »

For this reason I have use a simple technik, first I run apt in "silent" mode:
#apt-get install some-large-package -s>install_some-large-package.lst
I always check "roughly" what suppose to be installed, especially the suggested packages, install some of them before "some-large-package" and check waht would happen with first large list of packages to be install.
It is also useful if you deside completelly remove packages, you can use quite simple script to remove - purge unneeded packages.
The best, for me, that use partimage or ghost. Before step such a huge A make an image of previouse, stable system. For this reason good choice to use /home as different partition and /var in the boot partition. I quite large Debian/Linux installation, can take about 2 G (without /home).
I can not define me as a "newbie" but I do not find good method to journalling the evolution of the system, when and what was installed/upgraded!? Have some one a usable method to make this tracking database?