Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Starting the Desktop

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Mexican_Pirate

Starting the Desktop

#1 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

So yeah. I'm new to Linux, so don't just assume I'm too stupid to use a computer, because I can do anything with Windows. Anyways, I thought I'd try Linux since I've heard so much about how great it is, plus now my family will avoid my computer like the plague. I just installed Debian as a dual-boot which I felt was a good move since I knew I wouldn't know how to do something, and I kind of wanted to keep all my games that I have installed for Windows. So I installed Debian with the GNUGrub Dual Boot option from the Network Install disc, and when it asked which package I wanted to install, I selected the desktop environment. And then it booted up... in text mode. So yeah, is there some kind of command I can use to start the desktop environment? Because I really don't like text mode.
Arr, ese!

Arkaein

#2 Post by Arkaein »

The command to run is "startx". However, if you installed the desktop environment setup and it boots into console you may have a problem with your XOrg (the graphical display system) setup.

Try using startx (as root user if necessary). If it fails as I suspect it will, post the output of your log file. It will be in the /var/log directory, probably called Xorg.0.log.

If startx does not even run as a command, then you don't have an xserver installed, and will need to install one using apt-get.

Mexican_Pirate

#3 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

Okay, I'll see if that works.

EDIT: "startx" doesn't work. How do I use apt-get?
Arr, ese!

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by Scotti »

It sounds like you either didn't select the "desktop environment" properly or something is really wrong.

Try this to make sure. As root try to install the Xserver system:

# apt-get install x-server-system-core

If it says it's already the newest version then it is indeed installed. Else, it'll prompt you to install the xserver system. Do that, and also you'll need to # apt-get install xserver-xfree86 (or xserver-xorg) packages.

Then you need a window manager such as Gnome or KDE (the most popular two). For whichever you want just # apt-get install gnome (or kde). You'll also probably want a nice graphical user/login manager. For that type # apt-get install gdm.

After that you should be good to go. ;-)

Mexican_Pirate

#5 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

Okay. I tried those commands, and thereupon I ran into my problem: I'm using a wireless connection! Since my dad won't let me jack his network cable again, I just need to find out how to connect to the wireless network.
Arr, ese!