Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

missing debian menu in gnome SOLVED !!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
waterwally

missing debian menu in gnome SOLVED !!

#1 Post by waterwally »

could someone please help me fix this problem in sarge. the folder is vissable but i cannot open it or get its properties. i am new to DEBIAN. i have tried a few things I read in the posts but so far no luck. :D

thanks for the help
I love Linux but I love the people more
ken
Last edited by waterwally on 2005-11-25 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
I love Linux But I love the people more

geoffb

Re: missing debian menu in gnome

#2 Post by geoffb »

waterwally wrote:could someone please help me fix this problem in sarge. the folder is vissable but i cannot open it or get its properties. i am new to DEBIAN. i have tried a few things I read in the posts but so far no luck. :D

thanks for the help
I love Linux but I love the people more
ken
Do you mean the entire Gnome applications droplist is inaccessible, or just the "Debian" sublist?

Judas

#3 Post by Judas »

A question is a bit unclear, but I remember having to install menu-xdg package to have Debian menu in GNOME.

ken

missing debian menu

#4 Post by ken »

it is just the DEBIAN SUB MENU that is there but does not open. I tried the menu-xdg trick but it didn't help , also tried " update-menu" as root but no good either. when I first installed DEBIAN sarge 3.1 as a dual boot with winxp , the DEBIAN SUB MENU was there but after Installing a few other programs off the 2x DEBIAN DVD's, which I presume are stable, the menu is still vissable but won't open. the computer is a PENT 3 1200mhz.

thanks for your replies, it really helps.
ken
I love Linux but I love the people more. :D

Judas

#5 Post by Judas »

Try creating a new user and login to a fresh desktop. If the menu is visible then your personal GNOME configuration files are probably corrupt. Your best bet would be to delete them and relogin.

waterwally

thank you Judas

#6 Post by waterwally »

created new user but the menu is still not usable, can you think of anything else i might try?
at the least, I am learning to use the forum and maybe I will learn something more about Linux

thanks for the reply :D

Judas

#7 Post by Judas »

You could try purging and reinstalling menu related packages. Note that this is dirty and I would recommend doing this in text console (as in real text console, no X Windows running).

1. "dpkg -P --force-all menu-xdg menu gnome-menus" - This will purge the packages. You will receive a lot warnings, ignore them. I told this was going to be dirty.
2. "apt-get install menu-xdg menu gnome-menus" - Put stuff back in its place.
3. Relogin to GNOME and test the menu.

waterwally

missing menu SOLVED

#8 Post by waterwally »

I rembered that when I got this problem I had installed a couple of programs. one of them was KONQUEROR, so I UNINSTALLED it and after a reboot, everything was back to normal. I can only presume that something in KONQUEROR was incompatable with the DEBIAN menu. Hope this reply might help some one else.

thank you for all your help and suggestions, they were very helpful
:D :D

ken