Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Internet security issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cwh

Internet security issue

#1 Post by cwh »

I just installed Sarge and setup pppconfig (and also kppp) recently. However, I am wondering about internet security issue. Are there any reliable firewall and antivirus software that I can apt-get from?

Another question is how to connect to the internet using kppp from an ordinary user (not root). It seems to me that I should have superuser privilege to use kppp everytime when I'd like to connect to the net. I'm not sure if it is secure to connect to the internet from root.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

cwh

tim

#2 Post by tim »

Guarddog is a good firewall for kde. (apt-get install guarddog). You're right--you should never connect to the Internet while you're logged in as root. Add your normal user to the dialout group: adduser yourusernamehere dialout.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

cwh

#3 Post by cwh »

Thanks for your hint, tim!

If I install guarddog, can I connect to the internet under Gnome but still guarded by guarddog since it is for KDE? If not, are there any firewalls for Gnome? Also, it guarddog easy to configure?

cwh