Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MeanDean

#46 Post by MeanDean »

Vorian Grey wrote: I would recommend that they get CD-1.iso and then use aptitude, yes.
well gnome-terminal is the default, will you also recommend they use that?
:lol:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#47 Post by Lavene »

MeanDean wrote:IIRC you are correct, the other images were created later. Don't recall the whole issue though. Either way, would you consider gnome to be the default desktop? And if it is, should we only recommend gnome to new users?
I guess it's the default since getting the others require finding and downloading an alternative CD1. As for recommendation goes, if someone seeks my help for getting his desktop up and running he would have to install KDE because I don't know the first thing about Gnome.

But when someone asks for a recommendation it's usually possible to use more than one word. You can say what is the 'default' but give a short explanation why *you* don't recommend it.

@ "Vorian Grey": As for sheepishly following the devs: Look at the name of the forum. We are an unofficial user support forum. If we as users don't agree with the devs there is no problem in that.

MeanDean

#48 Post by MeanDean »

I would say there isn't a user on here that doesn't disagree with the devels about something or another. We aren't debian fanboys, in fact debian doesn't have fanboys. Debian is what it is and you accept it because the thing about debian is it can be whatever you want it to be. IMO that is the one thing the devels have always got right, if they ever stopped getting it right that is the day debian stops being debian. Hell, debian is the epitome of disgreement, that is what makes it great. It would suck if we had anyone dictating what we would use by default or deciding what direction to go in. What most consider to be debians weak points are exactly what makes debian so strong. Sure, a leader could crack the whip and drive us down the road twice as fast but it would not be as fun, we may miss a lot of new paths to try out, and it would get old quickly.

Debian rocks....
Last edited by MeanDean on 2008-04-07 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

MeanDean

#49 Post by MeanDean »

Vorian Grey wrote:.
...and sometimes dean just has to exercise his mean side... :lol:

welcome to debian - land of the truly free...

JohnDeere630

#50 Post by JohnDeere630 »

MeanDean wrote:I would say there isn't a user on here that doesn't disagree with the devels about something or another. We aren't debian fanboys, in fact debian doesn't have fanboys. Debian is what it is and you accept it because the thing about debian is it can be whatever you want it to be. IMO that is the one thing the devels have always got right, if they ever stopped getting it right that is the day debian stops being debian. Hell, debian is the epitome of disgreement, that is what makes it great. It would suck if we had anyone dictating what we would use by default or deciding what direction to go in. What most consider to be debians weak points are exactly what makes debian so strong. Sure, a leader could crack the whip and drive us down the road twice as fast but it would not be as fun, we may miss a lot of new paths to try out, and it would get old quickly.

Debian rocks....
Well spoken! In the end, it is all about freedom.

Vorian Grey

#51 Post by Vorian Grey »

MeanDean wrote:I would say there isn't a user on here that doesn't disagree with the devels about something or another. We aren't debian fanboys, in fact debian doesn't have fanboys. Debian is what it is and you accept it because the thing about debian is it can be whatever you want it to be. IMO that is the one thing the devels have always got right, if they ever stopped getting it right that is the day debian stops being debian. Hell, debian is the epitome of disgreement, that is what makes it great. It would suck if we had anyone dictating what we would use by default or deciding what direction to go in. What most consider to be debians weak points are exactly what makes debian so strong. Sure, a leader could crack the whip and drive us down the road twice as fast but it would not be as fun, we may miss a lot of new paths to try out, and it would get old quickly.

Debian rocks....
Believe it or not I totally agree with you. I have always been a rebel and will always be one, I suppose. Debian is the perfect fit for me. The only point I have tried to make, and failed miserably from the looks of it, is if a new user who had no experience in Linux asked for my advice, here is what I would tell him. This thread is about new users after all. It's not about making everyone follow the same path. Linux doesn't need a dictator, it's all about choice. I use KDE because I choose to. I would use KDE if every developer in every distro came out against it.

You can have the last word because I am done here. :)