Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Repairing a really hideous mistake with Postfix

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
dfrancis

#1 Post by dfrancis »

Hi, been using Debian for a while and I am a mail admin for several of my clients. I've set most of my clients up with Sarge boxes to handle mail, using postfix. Earlier today I needed to get the /etc/postfix/virtual file sent to myself by mail as I needed to update my records for a particular business, and so intended to run as root the following command:

cat /etc/postfix/virtual | mail me@mydomain.com < virtual

Which woudl have worked perfectly find had I not by accident instead typed:

cat /etc/postfix/virtual | mail me@mydomain.com > virtual

which sent an empty mail, and replaced the /etc/postfix/virtual file with a file that only holds a line of text saying "No message, no subject; hope that's ok".

The correct /etc/postfix/virtual.db is in place however, so mail is currently working ok on the box. Is there anyway I can reverse engineer the correct /etc/postfix/virtual file from the virtual.db file? If not, the results are unthinkable for me. :(

Thanks in advance,
Dan

dfrancis

#2 Post by dfrancis »

Problem now solved, reverse engineering the virtual.db to get the original virtual file is possible and worked perfectly. :)