potato dselect mime and sendmail

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

potato dselect mime and sendmail

Postby sadsjon » 2005-12-07 21:09

I am trying to send my summary stats via email on my sendmail server. I have SMA to convert the mail.log file to and HTML but need to send it as an attachment. I can send the text using mailx but want to know how to send it via sendmail to my mailserver.

I tried to install Mime command line utils but these seem to clash with the dependencies on sendmail.

Can someone give me a step by step on how to achieve this?

Also, how can I reverse dselect selections ... each time I selected something incompatible it decided to try and remove a whole load of packages ... all I wanted to do was reverse what I had done.

thanks all,

jON
sadsjon

Postby Jeroen » 2005-12-08 00:01

Regarding dselect: Don't use it, use synaptic or aptitude instead.

Regarding sending attachments: It's a bit crude, but using mutt to send them pays off: It makes it much easier than fiddling with the whole stuff yourself. You can cat the mail body to a mutt process that has -a parameters and also of course the recipient as arguments -- which makes it totally non-interactive -- so safe to use in scripts.
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Postby anon » 2005-12-08 10:01

Potato is so old that you'd need a historian to support it. If this thing is connected to the internet you really need to upgrade. Debian doesn't support skipping a version so you need to upgrade to woody first then sarge.
anon

Postby Guest » 2005-12-08 13:44

Well, thanks for that Anon ... :-)

Seriously though, I have been considering upgrading as I have new server kit available to use.

As I only use this server for sendmail, should I perhaps consider installing from scratch and then reinstalling sendmail? Does the version of sendmail with Sarge upgrade my current install including check_local etc etc or will I have to start all over again?

Cheers,

jON

Postby anon » 2005-12-08 18:55

I have no idea how you configs will survive the upgrade but you've been running that thing without security updates for years an sendmail for one, isn't exactly known for it's lack of bugs. Doing it all from scratch is definitively recomended (no need to panic though, if you've been doing fine this far you can probably afford the time to do it properly).
anon

Return to General Questions