monitor turns itself off every 10 seconds

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

monitor turns itself off every 10 seconds

Postby don_sangiorgio » 2005-12-09 19:29

hi, i'm new to linux and debian. But none of the less I managed to pull trough a debian netinstall.
Everything is more or less configered the way I like it, but there is one really anoying problem...the monitor turns it self off after 10 seconds of inactivity (no keyboard action)!
This happend the second I installed Debian and has nothing to do with the X server because it happens in command line, as well as in KDE.
There is probably a simple fix for it but as I stated before...i'm a linux n00b :wink:

I should say that I am running an Asus s8200 laptop on adaptor (not on the battery)
Thx in advance
don_sangiorgio

Postby anon » 2005-12-09 19:43

Smells like something outside of debians control, check for bios updates, scour asus forums.
anon

Postby don_sangiorgio » 2005-12-09 19:49

nope, debian is the first distro where I had this problem with, even Ubuntu didn't have this problem and I believe it's Debian based. So there must be something to configure to end this annoyance
don_sangiorgio

Postby dawgie » 2005-12-09 20:20

Check your screensaver settings
$ xscreensaver-demo
In the settings, check the "Blank after" setting (mine is 10 minutes)
dawgie

Postby don_sangiorgio » 2005-12-09 20:58

Like I stated above, the problem has got nothing to do with the X server, I had the problem before I even installed Xfree86! When he's done starting up into Debian and I can login into command line, after 10 secs the screen goes into standby, even when I connect an external monitor he does the same thing! I'm starting to think linux was a bad idea after all, win doesn't have these kinds of problems...but I'm willing to try!!
don_sangiorgio

Postby mikekgr » 2005-12-10 17:24

Dear don_sangiorgio,
I am not Debian expert at all but I suspect acpi or apm problem. See them at /etc/acpi/ and /etc/apm/ and ofcourse your friend man acpi and man apm

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis
mikekgr

Return to General Questions