Setting up samba via GUI for file sharing

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Setting up samba via GUI for file sharing

Postby rusty miller » 2005-12-09 21:10

Greetings all,

I want to use my Debian PC as a file server, which will be accessed by my Windows PC. Specifically, Debian is installed on one hard drive, and I have data on the other two hard drives.

As the PCs are on my personal LAN, behind a hardware firewall, I'm fine with anonymous/guest read/write access to the shared files, as I'm the only person on the network. If it's easy, though, I don't mind making an account with a password, to have layered security. I'm just not sure if I need to make just a samba account, just a Linux account, or both. I've gone through different GUI-driven configuration windows, related to Samba and related to File Sharing, played with many settings, and got file sharing to work except it's read-only access and I need write access as well. I don't recall if I set up a guest account or not, because I tried many things to get this far.

Would someone please tell me the best way to set this up via X Windows? I want to take advantage of the GUI interface, and understand it, because I've played with configuration files in Linux too many times and it's a chore. There's plenty of documentation for samba out there (config files) but I haven't found anything on these windows (i.e. the Samba Config window, the Debian File Sharing window). Sorry I don't recall the names exactly - I'm not in front of my PC now, but they are available in the "start menu" in Gnome/KDE.

Also, I want to make sure those two hard drives aren't mounted as read only. Isn't there a -ro or something for read only that I should not have in there? Any notes for how I should mount the hard drives in /etc/fstab?

Thanks in advance,

RM
rusty miller

Re: Setting up samba via GUI for file sharing

Postby jobezone » 2005-12-11 02:24

The webmin-samba package is the one you want. From its description:

samba control module for webmin
This module allows webmin (a web-based interface for system administration
for Unix) to create and edit Samba file and print shares.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!
jobezone

Return to General Questions