Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

oops.... please help

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
xtlosx

oops.... please help

#1 Post by xtlosx »

Hey Guys, I have run into a little pain in my ass...... I have a dell inspiron 5100, i had winxp and debian dual booted using grub. everything was perfect... my xp install is 2+ yers old so it was time to reinstall.. i reinstall, and xp sets itself to being the bootable partition.....

so i pop in the freebsd install cd, get into fdisk and set the linux partition, and my machine says, error loading operating system, but the partitions haven't changed... how can i fix this problem that i am now having? Would putting the debian cd in there, and going thruigh the beginning of the install again do the trick?

I popped in the bsd cd, after getting the error loading operating system, made the xp bootable... and it worked... boots into XP.. i set the linux partition to bootable, and it says error loading operating system... what the hell is going on? With norton partition magic i can browse the linux filesystem, and see the boot directory with the kernel and what not.. what to do?

anon

#2 Post by anon »

If you installed grub on the mbr and microsoft replaced it with the the xp bootloader grub-install <devicename> ought to be all you need.