Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

kernel for debian 3.1

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
y2kdis

kernel for debian 3.1

#1 Post by y2kdis »

how do i find out the kernel for my debian 3.1 sarge edition? i'm asking primarily because whenever i boot i get the following message
"Hal requires a 2.6 kernel to work. Not satisfied"

Is sarge running an old linux kernel that's why hal will not work on it?

jobezone

Re: kernel for debian 3.1

#2 Post by jobezone »

y2kdis wrote:how do i find out the kernel for my debian 3.1 sarge edition? i'm asking primarily because whenever i boot i get the following message
"Hal requires a 2.6 kernel to work. Not satisfied"

Is sarge running an old linux kernel that's why hal will not work on it?
You can find it out by typing:

Code: Select all

uname -r
I think that debian 3.1 installs by default 2.4, but also has 2.6 .
If you have a 2.4 kernel, then use aptitude, or synaptic to install the linux-image-2.6.x.x one.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

glf2818

kernel for debian 3.1

#3 Post by glf2818 »

y2kdis
As root you can nano /etc/apt/sources.list and put deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib in it.
Then apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.
It will try to install an up-to-date version of it.
Whether it will actually run depends on your hardware.
If you have the cds:
Someone posted this before (sorry I didn't include who in my notes)
# apt-get update
#apt-cache search kernel-image
#apt-get install kernel-image-whatever
Then you just reboot and use the new kernel.
The search part lists a lot of kernels including a bunch of 2.6 kernels. None will run on my hardware (Dell Dimension 4700) because of a bug but it might on yours. It is very easy to do.
George
Last edited by glf2818 on 2005-12-15 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

jobezone

Re: kernel for debian 3.1

#4 Post by jobezone »

glf2818 wrote:y2kdis
As root you can nano /etc/apt/sources.list and put deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib in it.
There's no need to use the testing repository. Debian sarge (stable) has 2.6 linux, just not sure how it's named. Best bet is to use synaptic or aptitude to search for linux-image or kernel-image, and the install the 2.6 version.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

y2kdis

#5 Post by y2kdis »

is the 2.4 kernel more stable than the 2.6 version that's why it's the default kernel that gets installed?

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by Scotti »

y2kdis wrote:is the 2.4 kernel more stable than the 2.6 version that's why it's the default kernel that gets installed?
No. Both are stable. By todays "distro standards", Sarge is old. That's why it defaults to a 2.4 kernel. If you install testing (Etch) you will notice it installs a 2.6 kernel by default.

2.6 has greater hardware support and overall is just better. Use 2.6.

y2kdis

#7 Post by y2kdis »

i did the

Code: Select all

#apt-cache search kernel-image
and came up with several kernel-images which are close to my currently installed kernel (i.e, kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386):

kernel-image-2.6-386
kernel-image-2.6-686
kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4
kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4-smp
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4
kernel-image-2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686

i think the right kernel to use is the second to the last, but i want to be sure so i won't have to deal with another problem. also, in case the kernel didn't work with my system, how do i revert back to the old one?

there were also kernel-pcmcia-modules-whatever that showed up, should i install one of them as well?

[/quote]

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#8 Post by kink »

If using testing/etch, note that the names of the kernel packages have changed from "kernel-image" to "linux-image".

y2kdis

#9 Post by y2kdis »

anybody who has an idea about my last post?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#10 Post by domecq »

anybody who could help me with my last question?
If that's this one:
there were also kernel-pcmcia-modules-whatever that showed up, should i install one of them as well?
There's no need, unless your computer is a laptop which has pcmcia card(s).
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)

y2kdis

#11 Post by y2kdis »

domecq wrote:
If that's this one:
There's no need, unless your computer is a laptop which has pcmcia card(s).

oh sorry, your reply came in too fast. i actually edited my post from
to
anybody who could help me with my last post?
since my last post has more than one question.

anyway, thanks for the reply. that leaves me with just two more questions
the one regarding the right kernel to install from the list i gave and the "undo" method in case i ran into trouble with the new kernel.

O.T.
guys, i really appreciate all the help i'm getting from this forum. although it would seem that i have two many questions, i'm trying hard not to ask silly questions or questions that will make you think i'm not working hard enough to look for answer elsewhere (like manual and mailing lists). actually i'm always googling for information regarding debian linux and stuffs and some times i have more than 3 opened browser windows. but one thing is for sure, if not for this site i would have given up on linux.
:D

dawgie

#12 Post by dawgie »

y2kdis wrote: that leaves me with just two more questions
the one regarding the right kernel to install from the list i gave and the "undo" method in case i ran into trouble with the new kernel.
The last one in your list (686) should work for you.

After you install your new kernel and reboot, you will still be able to choose your old kernel in grub.
If you don't want the new kernel to be the default,You can edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file
and change the default number.