Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get remove (why does that remove dependencies as well?)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
miahfost

apt-get remove (why does that remove dependencies as well?)

#1 Post by miahfost »

Hello,

I run debian on a server. This server is headless, that is to say there is no screen connected to the server and therefor no need for X windows. When removing a package called xlibs, apt-get remove also told me that it would remove emacs21 as well.

Is there any way to tell apt not to remove other packages? I found nothing in the man pages other than "apt-get remove is just like install, only it removes packages."

Thank you.

simen

#2 Post by simen »

Emacs depends on either xlibs or a bunch of other packages, so as long as you're using emacs, you probably want to keep xlibs installed. You can force an uninstall -- see

Code: Select all

dpkg --force-help
but that might be a really bad idea. Is there a particular reason why you want to uninstall xlibs? Do

Code: Select all

apt-cache show emacs21
to see emacs' dependencies.

Regards,
--Simen

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

xlibs is a library for programs with X support, it can also be meaningful for headless servers. For example, if you'd login with ssh with X forwarding to your server, you would be able to start emacs in X mode. Because of that support, emacs requires xlibs. Those are just libraries, if unused, they just eat a little bit disk, they don't hurt at all.

miahfost

getting rid of xlibs

#4 Post by miahfost »

Thanks very much for the answers, I appreciate the help.

The reason why I wanted to get rid of xlibs is that my debian machine is in a virtual colo which means I can only administer it via ssh. To increase security I want the least amount of software possible on the machine, that means X has to go.

I found out that there is a emacs21-nox package which I installed on my machine, this allowed me to remove xlibs.

Thanks,

Jeremiah