Upgrading to Open Office 2

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Upgrading to Open Office 2

Postby randy8240 » 2005-12-24 18:47

I have installed Debian Sarge and would like to upgrade the Open Office to Open Office 2. I have added "deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main" to the /etc/apt/sources.list file and run apt-get update. I successfully upgraded Firefox to version 1.5 by then running apt-get install firefox, but when I run apt-get install openoffice I get a message "Package openoffice is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package openoffice has no installation candidate"
Does anyone know how I can upgrade Open Office?
Thanks.
Randy
randy8240

Open Office upgrade solved

Postby randy8240 » 2005-12-24 20:14

I went back to Backports and upgraded the OpenOffice by upgrading the individual components. For instance I ran apt-get install openoffice.org-calc to upgrade the spreadsheet. I had some problems with the new database part. This is new to Open Office and is the real reason I wanted to upgrade. The problem I encountered was that I didn't have j2rel.4 on my system. I ended up adding "deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/java/debian/ sarge non-free" to my etc/apt/sources.list file, running apt-get update and then apt-get install j2sdkl.4 to get it installed. Trying to install the j2rel.4 alone appeared impossible but it came with the j2sdkl.4.
randy8240

Return to General Questions