How to make 2 dvds from 14 cds

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

How to make 2 dvds from 14 cds

Postby Joe Holmes » 2005-12-24 22:37

I've purchased the 14 Debian 3.1 cd set. I now have a windows (... sorry...) box that has a CD-RW and a DVD-RW, and I'ld like to make a 2 DVD set from the 14 CD set.

Thanks,
Joe H
Joe Holmes

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-12 17:15

1. Install Jigdo
# apt-get install jigdo

2. Create a directory where you have lots of free space
$ mkdir jigdo

3. Download the jigdo images and templates from here into the directory that you created:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... jigdo-dvd/

4. Inside of the directory, run jigdo-lite:
$ jigdo-lite

5. After you select the first DVD image, you will be prompted for a source
Mount the first CD of your set and enter the path to your CD for a source.
Repeat this with the first 8 CDs

6. When you are finished adding files from the CDs jigdo will dowload the remaing files that were missing, or that were updated.

The same process can be used to create a set of CD images from DVDs.
And to go from stable from testing or unstable
dawgie

Postby Joe Holmes » 2006-01-13 20:01

Dawgie-
Thanks, I appreciate your help. I'm running on a dual boot system (winxp and debian) with a winmodem. I've downloaded and installed the drivers, and gotten to the point where I can initaiate a connection, but it drops out during the negotiation. I've never yet been able to get a connection to the internet with my debian os.
I'll continue to try to work that issue, but in the meantime, how would I make the 2 dvd's using winxp? I've copied the first CD into a directory and it lists several files and several subdirectories). If I copied the next CD contents into the same subdirectories (pool, pics, dist, boot, .disk) would that be enough, or are there files in the root directory that would need to be edited?
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Holmes

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-13 22:27

Joe Holmes wrote: I'll continue to try to work that issue, but in the meantime, how would I make the 2 dvd's using winxp? I've copied the first CD into a directory and it lists several files and several subdirectories). If I copied the next CD contents into the same subdirectories (pool, pics, dist, boot, .disk) would that be enough, or are there files in the root directory that would need to be edited?
Thanks,
Joe

It is a bit of work. You need to modify the package lists for each DVD image.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... tory-howto

BTW, The Docs, Howtos and tips & Tricks section of these forums is not intended for asking questions. Please do not post new quesions in the documentation area.
dawgie

Postby Joe Holmes » 2006-01-15 21:15

dawgie wrote:BTW, The Docs, Howtos and tips & Tricks section of these forums is not intended for asking questions. Please do not post new quesions in the documentation area.

Please accept my apologies, I didn't realize this. Thanks for both your help and the heads up.

Joe
Joe Holmes

Return to General Questions