Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How closely is Debain and Ubuntu working?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.

Will Ubuntu's rise in popularity effect Debian?

yes, for the good
100%
yes fo the not so good
No votes
No more than any other distribution.
No votes

Total votes: 4

jsmidt

How closely is Debain and Ubuntu working?

#1 Post by jsmidt »

I just wanted to know how closely Debian and Ubuntu are working together for example:

1.) Are changes to packages being shared together very often?

2.) Do the Debian and Ubuntu developers keep in close communication?

3.) Does it appear that Ubuntu will influence the future of Debian, like goals they have, or how their organization will run, if so how?

4.) Do Debian developers think Ubuntu will be good for Debain.

5.) Will Ubuntu and Debian ever hold joint conferences to discuss ways they can compliment each other?

6.) Is there in increase in interest about Debian beacause of the rise in popularity of Ubuntu?

7.) Anything else like these questions? :D

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by Scotti »

I think in general Ubuntu is a good thing. It's popularity has increased by quite a bit in a short pereiod and has exposed Linux to many people who might still be using the "other guy's" OS if it weren't for that.

As for the questions, I don't know. I don't follow that sort of stuff, but I do think I read somewhere that the Debian guys weren't all that sure if Ubuntu was helping Debian... something like that. :?

Interesting questions though.

jsmidt

#3 Post by jsmidt »

dren,
I agree with you. I am one of those people who knew nothing about Debian until I was introduced to Ubuntu. I still use Ubuntu however I also use Debian(I have 2 computers) and am in love with their (Debian's) philosophies. I hope Debian continues to benifit from those who learn about Ubuntu.

Also, you, and others I have talked to suggest that some in Debian don't like Ubuntu. I on one hand can see why, but I think Ubuntu would be an oppurtunity to give the Debian developers a whole new pool of ideas that in some areas really seem to work well. Why not see some of Ubuntu's successes and find ways to utilize some of those same good ideas and perhaps even make them better?

In the end I like both distro's but again, for philosophies behind the Debian project and the miracle they have going for them as possibaly the world's best operating system being done by volunters is quite impressive.