Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Terminal Scrolling?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
[c]ode

Terminal Scrolling?

#1 Post by [c]ode »

hello there, I just installed debian and was wondering how I can scroll in the terminal window (I am not running a GUI environment)

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by Scotti »

I don't think it's possible to "scroll" in a non GUI environment, since there is no mouse support. But in some cases you can use the PageUp and PageDown buttons. This instance would be true if you were in some text editor viewing a file.

If you're sitting at the prompt and maybe have listed the files in a directory then I know it's hard to see what was all listed. There are a couple solutions I know of:

List the files into a text file and then use an editor such as vi to view the file.

Code: Select all

$ ls > files.txt
The greater-than operator tells the prompt to place the output of the command in our files.txt file.

My other method that I'm not very familure with is to use a program called 'less'. This program shows you one screen of text at a time, then using the PageDown key you can view more of the output. I've not used this method before but I've seen a friend do it. $ man less.

Hope this helped. :)

keyser_soze

#3 Post by keyser_soze »

depending on how new you are...

less can be used with a pipe. So, for example,

ls -al | less

will allowing you to page up/down through the results.

Penguin Skinner

#4 Post by Penguin Skinner »

With Scroll Lock on, <Shift><PageUp> and <Shift><PageDown> let's you scroll through the terminal buffer.