Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Just starting

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Rips23

Just starting

#1 Post by Rips23 »

I'm just starting with linux after being a little irritated by blue screens and a computer that is slowly getting as fast as my grandma (when she sleeps).
So after searching on the internet I think debian is the flavor for me. Some say it's a difficult distribution and others say it's userfriendly and easy when you get the hang of it, just don't give up the first time it wont do what you want it to do.

So I made my choice but the first question that pops up is: What are the minimum requirements to setup a fully working desktop computer?

And second : does somebody know a good howto to install it. When I use google I get to much links.

-Rips23

MarkvD

#2 Post by MarkvD »

For me is Debain the #1 GNU/Linux distribution.

First time installers with a little indersranding of how a computer works should have a lot of help with this documentation.

If you have any questions don't hasitate to ask them, I'm sure we can answer them here.

Have fun !!
Last edited by MarkvD on 2004-03-14 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

NGene

#3 Post by NGene »

I would probably say that Debian may be difficult when installing and configuring for the first time, but very easy and user friendly when maintaining, upgrading and installing software.

For example, I know from my own experience that it's hard and confusing to download and install OpenOffice in Windows, but much easier and faster to download and install OpenOffice in Debian.

tim

#4 Post by tim »

I've only been using debian for a bit over a month and I really like it. Like others have said, the installation is a bit tricky but if you don't give up you'll be rewarded with a very nice and stable system. I'm using woody, and have been able to set up wireless networking and I have access to my windows xp partition. For a very good step-by-step guide to installing woody, try this web site:

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016

Good luck,

Tim
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Rips23

#5 Post by Rips23 »

What?
I didn't get any problems.
I must say I'm a little disappointed :wink:

It's easy when u use commen sense (or is it the a good guide?)

---THX!!