How to Use Deboostrap option to make deb's Tarball file?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

How to Use Deboostrap option to make deb's Tarball file?

Postby LuisPT » 2008-07-30 09:46

Yesterday I was playing around with deboostrap and in the manpage I discover the following OPTION:

--make-tarball FILE
Instead of bootstrapping, make a tarball (written to FILE) of the downloaded packages. The resulting tarball may be passed to a later --unpack-tarball.

I think this is fantastic, since I could just download once the instalation deb's and then make several instalations on other computers (instead of make 10 downloads I would do just one). :D

The problem is that when I use the "--make-tarball:" option the debootstrap returns a error: saying that an argument is necessary to the "--make-tarball" option. :cry:

I think it should be something like this:

sudo debootstrap --arch=i386 --make-tarball:/home/user/backup.tar.gz hardy /home/user/my_debootstrap

I think that with this command, debootstrap will create a tarball file with name backup.tar.gz in /home/user.

but I've tried several times and always give the same error:
--unpack-tarball needs an argument.

Can anybody help me with this? I've searched entire web and I couldn't found any good or valid example with --make-tarball option.

Thanks in advance for your help.
LuisPT

Postby BioTube » 2008-07-30 13:22

I'm running debootstrap with the --make-tarball option right now. Try replacing the colon with a space.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby LuisPT » 2008-07-30 13:44

Do you mean,

replace this:

sudo debootstrap --arch=i386 --make-tarball:/home/user/backup.tar.gz hardy /home/user/my_debootstrap

by this:

sudo debootstrap --arch=i386 --make-tarball /home/user/backup.tar.gz hardy /home/user/my_debootstrap

I can't believe that's problem, LOL LOL LOL LOL :o
LuisPT

Postby BioTube » 2008-07-30 13:50

Before breaching standard Unix syntax, make sure that's what's called for. Very few programs(dd's the only one I can think of) don't follow standard syntax.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.
BioTube

Postby LuisPT » 2008-07-30 13:58

Thanks for the help BioTube,

I will try this later at night.

Once again, many thanks for your help. :)
LuisPT

Return to General Questions