Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

fsck Failure - Cannot Boot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
PopsTX

fsck Failure - Cannot Boot

#1 Post by PopsTX »

I'm almost certain the answer to this query is in this forum somewhere... Just haven't been able to find it. So, if someone would please point me in the right direction or just plain ol' help me solve this problem I'd certainly be appreciative.

Debian 3.1 (kernel 2.6)
(Fairly old install of newest release but, updated periodically)

Used primarily as PHP/MySql dev. environment(servers: 8 virtual) but occasionally as workstation.

Most recent boot (today) the system issues the "fsck" failure notification of "Inode... has bad blocks" "Run fsck Manually".

OK. Did all that, plus a bunch of other system checks/repair commands to no avail.

Am open to most any suggestion(s).

I have a sinking and quite sickening feeling this may be a catastrophic hardware (hd) failure.

Update
After a day of Googling, two hours downloading Knoppix, Exploring Knoppix for another two hours (Pretty slick!)...

Unmount /dev/hda1 > fsck /dev/hda1 and repair as needed > Remount /dev/hda1 > Done.
All is well with Tuxley and I'm a happy camper again.

Happy New Year to All!
Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.