Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sarge Kernel Version

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
booger

Sarge Kernel Version

#1 Post by booger »

I justed downloaded one of the most current 'daily' images of sarge. Is it safe for me to assume that it uses the 2.6 kernel? I read somewhere on the debian doc page that sarge is 2.4/2.6 but doesn't state which one is supplied with the most recent sarge image.

Lastly, after looking over the install doc's, the install seems pretty straight forward but are there any howto's on installing gdm, gnome, etc?

Thanks for the info.

AdrianTM

#2 Post by AdrianTM »

Type "uname -a" without the quotes in console to get the version of the kernel.

I think that sarge comes with GDM installed by default. if not just do this in console:

su
apt-get remove kdm (to remove KDM)
apt-get install gdm

Of course you can use Kpackage if you like it better than apt-get to install/remove software.

startx

#3 Post by startx »

but are there any howto's on installing gdm, gnome, etc?

Code: Select all

apt-get install gdm
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
will do the rest.
if you want extra packages like e.g. gnome-games ,
do

Code: Select all

apt-cache search gnome | more
to get a list of all gnome related packages.
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

peschmae

Re: Sarge Kernel Version

#4 Post by peschmae »

booger wrote:I justed downloaded one of the most current 'daily' images of sarge. Is it safe for me to assume that it uses the 2.6 kernel? I read somewhere on the debian doc page that sarge is 2.4/2.6 but doesn't state which one is supplied with the most recent sarge image.
As said it is 2.4/2.6 - 2.4 is default. You get 2.6 by passing "linux26" on the Install boot cd command line.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by Jeroen »

You can also always switch later on, once you've finished installation, the choice at install-time isn't permanent.