Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PHP binary missing in action?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mstroeck

PHP binary missing in action?

#1 Post by mstroeck »

Hi,

I'm completely new to Debian, and just managed to get Postfix, Lighttpd, Rails, end pretty much everything else to run, but PHP has me stumped?! I did an apt-get install php4, and supposedly (according to all the how-to's I've read) there should now be a /usr/local/bin/php executable, but there isn't? What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Michael

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Debian packages will install executables into /usr/bin/. The only time you will get executables installed into /usr/local/bin/ is if you build applications from source and do not change the default prefix.

php4 is a meta package - it installs no files itself, only causes other packages to be installed. Do dpkg -l | grep php to identify the php packages installed on your computer. Then do dpkg -L packagename to see what files were installed where.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

What do you want? Do you really want a /usr/bin/php? Or do you just want to have php working in apache? In the latter case, install libapache-mod-php4 or libapache2-mod-php4 (in case you have apache2). If you want the cgi version of php4, for apache or other browsers, install php4-cgi. If you want a /usr/bin/php4 for standalone commandline scripts (this is rare, but possible, I use it myself to get some php application bits running from cron), you need php4-cli (command-line-interface).

Use dpkg -L <packagename> to see what files are generated by a package. See /usr/share/doc/<packagename> for documentation, always look for README.Debian first.

Jeroen

#4 Post by Jeroen »

Oh, I see lighttpd, that one requires php as cgi module because it doesn't have php support of itself. So you want php4-cgi. You'll then find the CGI in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/php4.