Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

file ownership is changing on me [solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
viniosity

file ownership is changing on me [solved]

#1 Post by viniosity »

I just migrated an old application from Novell 3 to sarge. Everything is working find except that when users access the application from their windows 98 machines the ownership of the files on the linux server are being changed.

Right now I have everyone set up with an individual username and password both for their linux account and for samba. Furthermore, they are all members of the group 'staff'. All the files are defaulted (owner:group) to root:staff, however after somebody does something in the application (like enter new data) it changes the owner:group of the affected file to fred:fred. Which prevents everyone (including fred for some reason) from proceeding. I have to manually login as root and type 'chown root:staff *.*' before people can continue.

Given that I can't change the application (it's an old app written in dbase), is there some way I can make this work? Maybe create a group and give everyone therein admin privs? Some other solution? Help!
Last edited by viniosity on 2004-10-13 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If you want samba to give the modified/newly created files to a specific group, the easiest way is to specify it in the share section with the "force user" and "force group" directives, like this:

Code: Select all

[aShare]
   path=/path/to/the/share
   browseable=yes
   writeable=yes
   public=yes
   force user=root
   force group=staff

viniosity

#3 Post by viniosity »

Yup, that was it. Thanks so much for the help! Here are the changes to smb.conf that made it work:

[foo]
browseable = yes
path = /usr/local/foo
writeable = yes
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
security = share
force group = staff
force create mode = 0664
force directory mode = 0775