Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Font problem

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bhanu

Font problem

#1 Post by bhanu »

Hi there,
I am completely new in Linux world. But tried Debian and got impressed. Looks cool and acts cool too. But the problem is I have installed some of fonts alien to English or western fonts, actually I have installed Nepali fonts and works OK when I log in as root but doesn't work when I log in as other user!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is disapointing that I can not use my logitech quickcam also.
Is there any solution of it?
I am using Kernel version 2.6.8 -2-686, gnome and gdm and Mozilla as my internet browser and mail client.
Moreover, I want to use openoffice.org version 2 on this kernel.
Is there anybody to help me out?

Regards,

Bhanu

glf2818

Font problem

#2 Post by glf2818 »

bhanu
Check your permissions on the file you used for your fonts with ls -l filename.
If it says root root for the owner and group, just chown bhanu filename and then
chgrp bhanu filename. Check with ls -l and then it should work o.k.
George
You will have to be root to do the above.

anon

#3 Post by anon »

logitech quickcams will eventually be supported by the uvc driver http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

bhanu

Thanks a lot

#4 Post by bhanu »

My font problem is fixed but it looks like webcam problem is not fixable. Anyway, I have to use Windows to see faces of my family members. It looks like complete migration from windows is still remote possibility.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by domecq »

Bhanu,

I have the same webcam and managed to make it work by installing "qce..." package, which can be found by a search from Synaptic or apt-get. Once you find and install it, have a look at the README file for instructions on how to set it up.