Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mounting USB and more repositories (solved)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pablodeb

mounting USB and more repositories (solved)

#1 Post by pablodeb »

I am running Deb 3.1 r1 stable and would like to know how to mount my USB port so I can download my pics from camera. One person said use 'mountpy' but my system returned that there was no 'mountpy' program. Can I look in a repository other than CD binary 1&2 (which is all I have downloaded). Perhaps online and using synaptiic or in terminal using apt-get. Also a different repository might help me find 'libdvd?' Thank you very much. I am really enjoying Debian, thanks. Sorry for asking so many questions.

pablo
Last edited by pablodeb on 2006-02-05 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by Scotti »

For my digital camera (Canon S400) I don't have to mount it manually to get the pictures off it. I have these packages installed: gtkam gthumb gphoto2

I have to su root in order for gtkam to see my camera, but it mounts it for me and it works great.

Try installing those packages, plug in your camera via USB, turn it on, su root gtkam, and add your camera model to gtkam. It should then show the thumbnails and allow you to download the pics.

For DVD packages, add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
Change 'sarge' to whichever Debian release you're running.

pablodeb

USB connect and dvd repositories

#3 Post by pablodeb »

Thank you, dren.

Great help. Got dvd lib and all works well. Thanks for explaining where to go and what to do.

However, as far as the usb cam programs, I am sorry that I don't appear to have those. I only downloaded the first two binary CDs. Is there a general repository for debian where where I can go and download those programs using synaptic or apt-get? Again, thank you for you help.

earnestly,
pablo

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: USB connect and dvd repositories

#4 Post by Lavene »

pablodeb wrote:However, as far as the usb cam programs, I am sorry that I don't appear to have those. I only downloaded the first two binary CDs. Is there a general repository for debian where where I can go and download those programs using synaptic or apt-get? Again, thank you for you help.

earnestly,
pablo
Hi pablo,

You should have the debian repositories in your sources.list by default. So getting those packages is easy. As root do:

apt-get update && apt-get install gtkam gthumb gphoto2
The 'apt-get update' is just to make sure you have the latest packages list. If it's already updated you can skip that part.

:)
Tina

pablodeb

#5 Post by pablodeb »

Hi Tina,

Thank you for the info. However, it returned that the gtkam was called something else and so it didn't give me more. Apparently it stopped and didn't go further with the other programs either or else they were part of the same package that has been renamed something else. It reported an error and no gtkam. Do you know what the new name might be? I am sorry to be so demanding. Thank you soooo much whether you have time to answer or not.

Or maybe since I have the repositiories I can find the program in an updated list? I will try.

Much appreciated,
Pablo

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

I don't know why you was unable to get the gtkam package since it's listed in the graphics section of the package lists:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/graphics/gtkam

But anyway, since apt couldn't find the gtkam it stoped and didn't try to get the two others. You could try to do them one by one.

apt-get install gtkam
apt-get install gthumb
apt-get install gphoto2
Other than that I don't know. I'm running testing and had no problem installing it so maybe it's a thing with stable?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tina