How to install stable package in sid?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

How to install stable package in sid?

Postby lareds » 2006-01-18 18:26

I need to install some mysqlpackages that has been removed from sid to stable.

I know that I can add repos to apt sources list but they don work. Synaptics answer like 'Invalid repos something'.

Any sugestions?
lareds

Postby Scotti » 2006-01-18 23:57

So you're running Sid, but you need a package from Sarge. One way I would try is to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and change all instances of "sid/unstable" to "sarge/stable". Then # apt-get update. Next, # apt-get install package. After the package is installed, change your /etc/apt/sources.list back then # apt-get update.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby Lavene » 2006-01-19 04:26

Wouldn't it be better to just add the stable repos in the sources.list then use preferences to pin it with lowest priority?

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby Guest » 2006-01-19 06:40

Or you could try this: http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap ... lt-version

3.8 How to keep a mixed system

To set up what is your main version of Debian you should edit the /etc/apt/apt.conf (it does not usually exist, create it if you don't have one) to contain the following line:

Code: Select all
APT::Default-Release "version";

Where version is the version of Debian you want to use as the main distribution. The versions you can use are stable, testing and unstable. To install packages from another version, then, you must use APT in the following way:

# apt-get -t distribution install package

Postby Scotti » 2006-01-19 06:42

That was my post above...
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby john_h » 2006-01-19 08:46

My understanding is that using the Default-Release variable works satisfactorily only if you have two branches in your sources.list. If you want more than two repositories then it is better to use pinning so you can have greater control over the various priorities for each repo.

At least, that's my recollection from Martin Krafft's inestimable book, which I found very helpful on the whole subject, and which (IIRC) includes sample /etc/apt/preferences files depending on whether you want to track stable, testing etc.

The other point though is if you specifically want the Sarge packages but there are later versions available in Sid then you will need to manually pin those packages in /etc/apt/preferences, giving them a higher priority than Sid, to stop them being automatically upgraded to the Sid versions. Can't recall the details as I've never had to do this, but it's in Krafft's book and I'm sure someone here can give/link to more details if you need them.
john_h

Re: How to install stable package in sid?

Postby Guest » 2006-01-19 13:05

lareds wrote:I need to install some mysqlpackages that has been removed from sid to stable.

you want mysql ffrom sid?
I know that I can add repos to apt sources list but they don work. Synaptics answer like 'Invalid repos something'.

Any sugestions?

There are probably spelling errors in your /etc/apt/sources.list
I've had that problem myself.

The Debian section of my /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
#Debian security updates
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main contrib non-free

To have multiple realeases in your sources list you should use "pinning".
This is done in the /etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 1

Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 50

Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 200

Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

In the /etc/apt/preferences file, you can specify individual packages. If you use a Pin-Priority of 1001, the package will never be upgraded.

You can also create a /etc/apt/apt.conf file

#/etc/apt/apt/conf
APT::Default-Release "stable";

The /etc/apt/apt.conf file will stop you from accidently doing a distro upgrade.

After you have modified your sources list and configuration files, you need to do an apt-get update.

To get a package that is not in the release that you have installed:

# apt-get -t distribution install package

Example:
I want to install dillo from unstable, so the command is
# apt-get -t unstable install dillo

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-19 13:07

That was me.
I ment to add this at the end:

Reference here:
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap ... et.en.html
dawgie

Postby Guest » 2006-01-19 16:23

Don't hurt me - I'm new ;)

You could just go to http://snapshot.debian.net, get the desired .deb from a particular release of date, and
dpkg -i <package>
to install it.

Not the best way of doing things, and you don't end up with the nice automatic dependency selection (but of course dpkg will tell you of any dependencies to be resolved manually and any conflicts), but it's handy to find older packages that might be in previously frozen releases.

HTH

Postby Guest » 2006-01-19 16:26

Anonymous wrote:Don't hurt me - I'm new ;)

You could just go to http://snapshot.debian.net, get the desired .deb from a particular release of date, and
dpkg -i <package>
to install it.

Not the best way of doing things, and you don't end up with the nice automatic dependency selection (but of course dpkg will tell you of any dependencies to be resolved manually and any conflicts), but it's handy to find older packages that might be in previously frozen releases.

HTH

Cripes, anyone would think I'd never used this `internet' thing before. Apologies, this was me....

Postby Scotti » 2006-01-19 16:52

dawgie wrote:That was me.
I ment to add this at the end:

Reference here:
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap ... et.en.html

That's the same info I posted two posts above yours LoL. It should be the solution.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Return to General Questions