Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sudo: unable to lookup [hostname] via gethostbyname()

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
v01i0

sudo: unable to lookup [hostname] via gethostbyname()

#1 Post by v01i0 »

Hello everyone,

I just installed Ubuntu on my other computer, but I can't give it sudo-commands at all. Everytime I try, I'll get following error message:
sudo: unable to lookup Lightbearer via gethostbyname()

Where Lightbearer name of my computer.

It appears that there is different hostname on /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname which may be confusing sudo(at least that's what I've read). However, I cannot change them same manually since I have no suffient previleges to save file after editing it.

Because of this, I can do pretty much nothing on my computer, since I cannot execute programs that need root rights.

Should I try some other distro instead of ubuntu?

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

v01i0

ps. I'm such a n0ob with linux. Please try to keep your answer simplified ;) Thanks.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

Please see the ubuntu forums for ubuntu questions, Ubuntu has changed stuff with su/sudo, we don't know what.

You should be able to fix this using a livecd or booting with init=/bin/bash appended to the kernel line. Also, you can most likely login with your root password on the console (ctrl+alt+F1)