Accessing My C: and D: Drives From Debian

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Accessing My C: and D: Drives From Debian

Postby EarthBoundMisfit » 2006-01-23 19:19

Hi.
I've been a user of Xandros.....which is a offshoot of Debian.
One of the things I am used to be able to do is to access my two other drives C & D.
Drive C is a 120 gig drive with two O/S's. Debian and Windows XP home.
Drive D is a 30 gig drive with Windows XP Pro only (my wife is hesitant to try linux at all)
I got a wild hair type urge and I installed Debian testing.....and so far the only problems I have had have been no sound (which I rectified by installing ALSA and OSS)...but I dunno where to start on accessing my two Windows drives.
I usually create a special folder in linux to back up information from WIndows that I don't want to lose.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecited and welcomed.
Glenn Condrey
EarthBoundMisfit

Postby john_h » 2006-01-23 22:59

Hi,

The "Linux" scheme for labelling the drives is slightly different from C:, D:

One of the drives will (probably) be /dev/hda, the other will (probably) be /dev/hdb. To identify which is which, try running the following as root:
Code: Select all
fdisk -l

and see if you can tell which disk is which from the output, and what the different partitions are.

I'd guess that the Windows XP home partition will be /dev/hda1, the Debian partition /dev/hda2 and the Windows XP Pro partition /dev/hdb1. In which case you could try adding the following lines to the /etc/fstab file:
/dev/hda1  /media/windows_c  ntfs  defaults,user  0  2
/dev/hdb1  /media/windows_d  ntfs  defaults,user  0  2

This is assuming the Windows partitions are both formatted as NTFS. If they are FAT 32, replace ntfs with vfat. For more details on editing /etc/fstab, see this page

Then you will need to create /media/windows_c and /media/windows_d folders. Then you should be able to mount each folder:
$ mount /media/windows_c
$ mount /media/windows_d

and they should also mount automatically at boot-up.

Note though that NTFS partitions will be read-only under Linux.
john_h

Postby Guest » 2006-01-24 16:22

THANK YOU! I was trying all kinds of sugegstions using umask=222 or 227 and nothing did the trick.
Closest I was able to see another Windows drive was my wifes 30 gig drive which I do NOT need to backup.
You suggestion did the trick THANKS A MILLION!
Glenn Condrey

Return to General Questions