Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Accessing My C: and D: Drives From Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
EarthBoundMisfit

Accessing My C: and D: Drives From Debian

#1 Post by EarthBoundMisfit »

Hi.
I've been a user of Xandros.....which is a offshoot of Debian.
One of the things I am used to be able to do is to access my two other drives C & D.
Drive C is a 120 gig drive with two O/S's. Debian and Windows XP home.
Drive D is a 30 gig drive with Windows XP Pro only (my wife is hesitant to try linux at all)
I got a wild hair type urge and I installed Debian testing.....and so far the only problems I have had have been no sound (which I rectified by installing ALSA and OSS)...but I dunno where to start on accessing my two Windows drives.
I usually create a special folder in linux to back up information from WIndows that I don't want to lose.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecited and welcomed.
Glenn Condrey

john_h

#2 Post by john_h »

Hi,

The "Linux" scheme for labelling the drives is slightly different from C:, D:

One of the drives will (probably) be /dev/hda, the other will (probably) be /dev/hdb. To identify which is which, try running the following as root:

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
and see if you can tell which disk is which from the output, and what the different partitions are.

I'd guess that the Windows XP home partition will be /dev/hda1, the Debian partition /dev/hda2 and the Windows XP Pro partition /dev/hdb1. In which case you could try adding the following lines to the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1  /media/windows_c  ntfs  defaults,user  0  2
/dev/hdb1  /media/windows_d  ntfs  defaults,user  0  2
This is assuming the Windows partitions are both formatted as NTFS. If they are FAT 32, replace ntfs with vfat. For more details on editing /etc/fstab, see this page

Then you will need to create /media/windows_c and /media/windows_d folders. Then you should be able to mount each folder:

$ mount /media/windows_c
$ mount /media/windows_d
and they should also mount automatically at boot-up.

Note though that NTFS partitions will be read-only under Linux.

#3 Post by Guest »

THANK YOU! I was trying all kinds of sugegstions using umask=222 or 227 and nothing did the trick.
Closest I was able to see another Windows drive was my wifes 30 gig drive which I do NOT need to backup.
You suggestion did the trick THANKS A MILLION!
Glenn Condrey