Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newcomer and a question

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
the_poet

#16 Post by the_poet »

I finally came to the solution to this annoying problem I've been facing for nearly 3 months!

The problem was the IDE driver trying to repeatedly access the DVD-RW drive via DMA but DMA seemed not to respond, so my goal was to disable it. First of all, the IDE driver is not part of the kernel, it is loaded as a module (its name is ide_core). Trying to edit /etc/hdparm.conf doesn't work because hdparm is loaded AFTER the messages "hdc: drive not ready for command". And because of IDE driver being loaded as a module, even adding "hdc=nodma" or "hdc=noprobe" to GRUB in the "kernel" line (as suggested on another forum) is unuseful, as these options affect only the kernel. The solution I found was to create a new file (I called it "noprobe") inside /etc/modprobe.d with the following line

Code: Select all

options ide_core options="hdc=nodma"
and then I regenerated my initrd image with

update-initramfs -u
After rebooting, everything worked like a charm! ;)

boblowski

Re:

#17 Post by boblowski »

the_poet wrote: The problem was the IDE driver trying to repeatedly access the DVD-RW drive via DMA but DMA seemed not to respond, so my goal was to disable it. First of all, the IDE driver is not part of the kernel, it is loaded as a module (its name is ide_core). Trying to edit /etc/hdparm.conf doesn't work because hdparm is loaded AFTER the messages "hdc: drive not ready for command". And because of IDE driver being loaded as a module, even adding "hdc=nodma" or "hdc=noprobe" to GRUB in the "kernel" line (as suggested on another forum) is unuseful, as these options affect only the kernel. The solution I found was to create a new file (I called it "noprobe") inside /etc/modprobe.d with the following line

options ide_core options="hdc=nodma"
and then I regenerated my initrd image with

update-initramfs -u
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I spent like 2 days trying to get rid of those DMA timeout errors, and finaly a solution that actually works! Even better, you explained WHY all those other solutions didn't work and this one does. Thanks again for taking the time to post your solution here!