Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

rgb.txt is missing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zed888

rgb.txt is missing

#1 Post by zed888 »

Hi,

trying to figure out why amsn won't start on my machine, I came to the conclution it is most likely my rgb.txt file that causes the problems.

I'm not sure if it was missing in the first place or did I remove it myself while I was trying to figure this out, but bottom line it is now missing.

reinstalling Xorg did not do the trick...
could you suggest how do I get this file and where I shoud put it to (and maybe what symbolic links I should add)?

Thanks

Gil

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#2 Post by dnusinow »

The file is in the x11-common package in Xorg. You can grab the package from your mirror and run "dpkg -i --force-confmiss" on the package to install it. It should install the /etc/X11/rgb.txt then. This bug has popped up before but I have no idea what the cause is or how to track it down beyond what I've already done...
David Nusinow

zed888

#3 Post by zed888 »

Thanks dnusinow,

I'm not sure I understood axactly what to do. I downloaded /debian/pool/main/x/x11-common/x11-common_1.09_all.deb to my computer and executed the command: dpkg -i --force-confmiss x11-common_1.09_all.deb .
Is this what you meant?
well, I did that but it didn't seem to restore rgb.txt.

Could you help what to do now?

Thanks

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#4 Post by dnusinow »

Tell you what. Let's do this the easy way. I put it up at http://people.debian.org/~dnusinow/rgb.txt . Just download it and put it in /etc/X11. That should work. I really wish I had a great upgrade case so I could understand why rgb.txt goes missing so I could fix this bug, but the best info I've gotten is like you, it's just a normal upgrade (which only affects a few people). Anyway, best of luck and I hope Xorg works well for you.
David Nusinow

zed888

#5 Post by zed888 »

Thanks again, dnusinow!

Well, I tried what you've suggested in your firs reply, as I wrote in mt reply. it didn't seem to work. the next time I closed my X I wouldn't start. I'm not sure If that action was the trigger as I played arround with thiankgs and I can't recall what came first and when I did what.

I tried to fix this but as I wasn't able to install X11-common (or was it xserver-common) or even download it, I turned to reinstalling the whole system from scratch.

I tried to install the testing netinstall CD (100MB) but it didn't load most of the packages so I had to select them one by one (Xorg, Kde, Gnome, GDM...). is this supposed to be that way? If not, could you point me to where I can report this issue?

eventually I installed the old fasion way- usin the Sarge netinstall CD and dist-upgrading to etch...

The problem with the amsn ('Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationunknown color name "Black"') persists, even after I downloaded the rgb.txt from the link you gace me into /etc/X11/ (+ chown root:root rgb.txt, right?)

If there is anything I can do to help investigate whay this occures pleas let me know.

Any other suggestions you can think about?

Thabks again,

Gil

dmartinsca

#6 Post by dmartinsca »

do you have a link from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt to /etc/X11/rgb.txt ?
If not, you can create one by typing, as root:

ln -s /etc/X11/rgb.txt /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

I can't find it right now but i'm pretty sure that this is the path where X looks for the rgb.txt file.

Just noticed that on my system /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt is also a link to /etc/X11/rgb.txt

zed888

#7 Post by zed888 »

Thanks dmartinsca,

I have just saw the same thing on the next thread: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/200 ... 00367.html

it didn't work (unledd I'm supposed to restart X -? which I havn't yet. will do that soon).

Appearently, it didn't work for that guy as well. but the solution that worked for him is listed here: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/200 ... 00436.html
but it didn't work for me... :(

zed888

#8 Post by zed888 »

I take that back!
after restarting X it works!!!!!!!!!
so it was one of the two solutions. I assume it is the link....

Thanks guys!!!!

You're the best!